my breeding pair

• levelz31
  • levelz31's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

levelz31 created the topic: my breeding pair

hi all, i'am new to the forums and have some questions i'am hoping you can answer.

i have recently paired up 2 oscars .. one is around 2 years old and the other is around 4 years old.

i done a large water change to get them in the mood to spawn but they are doing everything but laying...

the younger one what i think is the male was chasing fish away from the female so i removed all the other fish.

now they have the tank to there self and are rubbing up against each other and swimming and jolting there body around the flat rock i put in the tank picking up pebbles and cleaning the rock for spawning...does this mean i should see eggs that night or morning ? or do they do this a lot and not lay eggs for months ?

also if it was 2 females one wouldn't be so protective of the other chasing fish away from her is this correct ?

any help will be much appreciated.

cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RoxyTheDog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Love your Pets.
  • Thank you received: 166

RoxyTheDog replied the topic: my breeding pair

Hi there, welcome to OFL :)
I hope you have a pair there, they're old enough but don't hold your breath waiting for eggs. It might happen tonight or it might never happen. Sometimes they look like they're doing everything right but that's all that happens.
I'm almost certain I read on here somewhere that 2 females can pair up but I'm not sure if they will lay eggs. If they do they won't be fertilised of course but still good to see.

My pair only spawned once which was a few months ago so I'm still waiting as well!

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

• levelz31
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

levelz31 replied the topic: my breeding pair

RoxyTheDog wrote: Hi there, welcome to OFL :)
I hope you have a pair there, they're old enough but don't hold your breath waiting for eggs. It might happen tonight or it might never happen. Sometimes they look like they're doing everything right but that's all that happens.
I'm almost certain I read on here somewhere that 2 females can pair up but I'm not sure if they will lay eggs. If they do they won't be fertilised of course but still good to see.

My pair only spawned once which was a few months ago so I'm still waiting as well!

thanks for the worm welcome :)
yea i hope its not 2 females but it sure would be nice if they were male and female.

here is a video i just took of them tonight ... there at it again

• RoxyTheDog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Love your Pets.
  • Thank you received: 166

RoxyTheDog replied the topic: my breeding pair

Wow that's a beautiful looking tank!

Mine did all the same things for a looooong time then one day without warning they had eggs, hope you don't have to wait as long.

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

• levelz31
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

RoxyTheDog wrote: Wow that's a beautiful looking tank!

Mine did all the same things for a looooong time then one day without warning they had eggs, hope you don't have to wait as long.

yea hope so :(

these two have only been in the same tank for 5 days now .. so far so good.

• Thank you received: 11

ldypaw replied the topic: my breeding pair

levelz31 wrote:

hehe 5 days? give them time they are still just flirting, we've gone months between the last batch of eggs and this batch, we actually moved them from our living room tank into a new 125g in the bedroom because there was just to much activity out here with the kids running around dogs being maniacs etc.

• levelz31
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

ldypaw wrote:

levelz31 wrote:

hehe 5 days? give them time they are still just flirting, we've gone months between the last batch of eggs and this batch, we actually moved them from our living room tank into a new 125g in the bedroom because there was just to much activity out here with the kids running around dogs being maniacs etc.

haha yea i'm excited ... i guess its a waiting game now and like you said ill try not disturb them and give it a few months.

thanks for all the helpful info :)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds