Oscar, in Bare Bottom Tank

• Fish Lady
  • Fish Lady's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Fish Lady replied the topic: Oscar, in Bare Bottom Tank

Just to let you know that my Oscar named Dylan has moved out of his 30 gallon tank into his 55 gallon tank. I am prepared to do the water changes as needed. I have a water changer so I will be able to keep up the partial WC as needed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Oscar, in Bare Bottom Tank

that's great to hear ... your O must be jumping for joy with the amount of space it gained 25 Gal of water is a great deal..... i would test the water again just to be sure it's fully cycled.... and test it every 3 days to get a better reading a water change schedule ... pics????

• Fish Lady
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Since I moved Dylan into his 55 gallon tank, he is having mood swings again. He went though this when he was in the 30 gallon, and finally he got back on track and eating again, and now he is in a nice big 55 gallon tank, and he isn't eating again. I had an Oscar years ago, and don't remember him being so moody. He is moving around well, and isn't sick, just goes up to his food and then swims away. I got him for Mother's Day so he isn't that old. Oh well I don't picture him starving himself, hopefully he will start eating again soon. Any suggestions?

• Popss
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Popss replied the topic: Oscar, in Bare Bottom Tank

I have come to realize that Oscars are moody drama queens. which does seem strange. sense they are not aware of themselves, they have no ability to look ahead and weigh there actions.(if I slam this sharp rock i will hurt myself). they never the less pull these obstinate attitudes, roll there eyes at you and pretty much through a guilt trip on you because YOU have changed something on them with out asking so now I am not going to eat or wag my tail. I am sure there is some deep seated instinctual reason for this, but we prefer to see it as personality, which works just fine for me.

• Thank you received: 35

AZ Steve replied the topic: Oscar, in Bare Bottom Tank

Popss wrote: Unless they are my tanks......I do every other day WC's, so my tanks are pristine.

Thanks Darth! now i do not feel so anal about my WC,s!! I hate poopies!!!!

Lol I swear Sarge saves a big ol poo for right after I vac. I use a long turkey baster for inbetween pooper scoops. Can't stand floaters haha

• Fish Lady
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I use a 15 inch piece of hard tubing attached to a 38 inch piece of flexible tubing, fill it with water from the faucet and with a container to catch the water and poops, I clean all of the poops from the tank, and I do this daily. It is a bare bottom tank.

I also have a question, is Stress Coat the same as Prime? I have a 55 gallon tank of which I moved my Oscar Dylan into on June 13th. He seems to be doing fine but the tank doesn't appear to have begun to cycle yet. I put a few pieces of cycled sponge into the filter cartridge figuring that would help, but so far nothing. I use to breed angelfish, and always had cycled filters, but gave that up a few months ago, so am totally starting over. I was never into using a lot of chemicals, so things like Prime, Stress Zyme, Quick Start is totally new for me. Any help you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks I also have 2 Whisper 60 power filters running.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds