Found something interesting on sexing Oscars True Or False

• cujo0777
  • cujo0777's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11

cujo0777 created the topic: Found something interesting on sexing Oscars True Or False

I was googling Oscars last night and I came upon this article Frm a website on could be a way of sexing Oscars . Let me know what you think being true or false . Even peoples opinions on this would be nice.

Although the species is widely regarded as sexually monomorphic, males have been suggested to grow more quickly, and in some naturally occurring strains, males are noted to possess dark blotches on the base of the dorsal fin. The species reaches sexual maturity at approximately one year of age, and continues to reproduce for nine to ten years. Frequency and timing of spawning may be related to the occurrence of rain. A. ocellatus fish are biparental substrate spawners, though detailed information regarding their reproduction in the wild is scarce.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Found something interesting on sexing True Or False

false.

Diet causes other fish to grow quickly. If that were true, people would have been using that information by now.

• cujo0777
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

cujo0777 replied the topic: Found something interesting on sexing True Or False

Rocksor wrote: false.

Diet causes other fish to grow quickly. If that were true, people would have been using that information by now.

I figured I'd get peoples input on this considering . I believe this came Frm wikipedia website on Oscars.

They even mention something about dark blotches around the dorsal fin to also be a sign of an Oscar being male.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Found something interesting on sexing True Or False

I have 3 Tigers, one for sure is male, and all their dorsals are solid color, a little light trim on top.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Found something interesting on sexing True Or False

I read it again.

Most people don't have those wild caught oscars. It doesn't state which species. There are quite a few Astronotus sp.

I highly doubt it reliably applies to the aquarium bred oscars, lutino, tiger, or red.

• cujo0777
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

cujo0777 replied the topic: Found something interesting on sexing Oscars True Or False

I would of figured there would of been a small chance of it being true. Good thing I always went with what this site suggested to do in order to get a pair. Went out bought 6 and and got my pair that way.

One thing I noticed with ether south and central American cichlids were the male usually grows allot quicker than the female. I noticed this with my convict cichlids and Firemouth cichlids .

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Parachromis and Caquetaia thorichthys Addict
  • Thank you received: 182

bassetman replied the topic: Found something interesting on sexing Oscars True Or False

Still only a 50% chance of accuracy. I have seen females with the blotches . Oscars are monomorphic. If it works for you remember a statistic of one is meaningless. You will be right about half the time.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds