Adolescents?

• JayFranks
  • JayFranks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

JayFranks created the topic: Adolescents?

Hi guys, I have two adolescent oscar which are still fairly small. I have no idea what their genders are but they seem really close. They're always together and sometimes splash around a lot together. I was just wondering if this is them breeding or if they're just close or something. As you can tell I don't know much about oscars especially their breeding. Hahahahha. My original oscar has moved the sand away from the bottom of the tank in the corner but he/she had done this before we got the second oscar.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Adolescents?

They will act like puppy's playing as adolescents. And will hang out together no problem while young if there is enough space, food and good water. I've always found with oscars that when I get them at the 1.5-2 inch size, that around 13-14 months after that is when you have to watch them for aggression if it hasn't happened by then. Oscars do mature at about 18 months(their age when I get them plus 13-14 months) and that makes them either flip a switch and start to bully others to the point they need separation or they may stay happy with their living arrangement but always the chance it can still happen. So they maybe happy now but always be prepared later to separate if required.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Re:Adolescents?

yes, once Oscars reach maturity, they will then be ready for breeding. If you happen to have a male and a female then they may form a pair. On the other hand, it may never happen, just depends on whether the female likes the male. You've got some time to go so I shouldn't even worry about breeding just yet.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• JayFranks
  • JayFranks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

JayFranks replied the topic: Re:Adolescents?

Ok thank you both :) They did fight a bit when I first put them together but after a few days they were best friends

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds