Oscars laid eggs, fertile or not?

• alayne1988
  • alayne1988's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

alayne1988 created the topic: Oscars laid eggs, fertile or not?

Ok so just my luck. I removed a pair of oscars from my tank into their own 40 gallon and instead of them breeding, another pair in the other tank laid eggs 2 days later. Smh.. I have 2 plecos, a shark, a jack dempsey and another oscar in the tank with the pair and their eggs. Instead of risking them getting eaten, I tried to remove the other fish only resulting in the shark disturbing the nest. This is my first time having eggs and they were not on a slate so I got what eggs I could out with a turkey baster. They are now in a bare 10 gallon with a heater and an air strip (not directly on them because they are not stuck to a slate). Is this okay? They look fertile to me (tan/brownish color) but ive never seen them before. I don't know how to upload pics into my post so I created an album for the eggs. For some reason, most of my pics were too large. But PLEASE let me know what you think!! I would love for these babies to make it..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: Oscars laid eggs, fertile or not?

I personally do not have any experience with Oscars breeding , but we do have a helpful section about it here on the site.

www.oscarfishlover.com/breeding-oscar-fish

Maybe this will help you some until someone else comes along that can answer some more of your questions.

But just to ask...do you have the resources it will take to raise those babies ? That 10G tank will not work for long if the eggs do make it.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Oscars laid eggs, fertile or not?

Hi and welcome to OFL ....

sounds like you have A LOT of oscars on your hands .... normally if the eggs are brownish in color it's fertile ... any pictures? you can signup for a free account on photobucket and copy the IMG field

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Oscars laid eggs, fertile or not?

They will turn white around the 3rd day if not fertile.

• alayne1988
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

alayne1988 replied the topic: Oscars laid eggs, fertile or not?

I couldn't figure out how to embed the photos so here are the links to them on photobucket:

Let me know what you think! Also, I was unable to put the air stone under the eggs because they were not on a slate. So I have a long bubble bar at the back of the tank. And I have 5 fish tanks set up in my house and 2 others so I think I have them all covered. Plus if they do hatch, I know a lot of Oscar fans :-)

• alayne1988
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Ok, so I really screwed up and can't figure out how to embed pictures on here. I am going to attempt it again lol.

I got it!!! Lol :-)

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Oscars laid eggs, fertile or not?

They look like a solid white, which means not fertilized.

• alayne1988
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

They don't look fertile to you? I think the ones on the plate (with the dark background may of been disturbed when they got whisked around the tank. They look a little lighter in color. I kind of rescued them as they were scattered all over the gravel. The ones pictured with the lighter background are attached to a piece of decor and almost all of them are tan to dark brown and seem to have a dark line down the center. This is my first time so I have no clue what I am doing.. Is the air I am supplying good enough if they do happen to be alive? Any opinions or advice is appreciated.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds