How can I remove oscar fry once they are free-swimming?

• alayne1988
  • alayne1988's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

alayne1988 created the topic: How can I remove oscar fry once they are free-swimming?

So, my Oscars laid eggs again, I am certain they are fertile because the male was going over them right after she laid them. They are in a tank with a couple plecos and a shark. Last time I tried to "rescue" the eggs by moving all the other fish, it ended up a disaster because of the other fish thrashing near the nest. This time I have decided to leave them be and as soon as they are free-swimming I would like to try to get them before they are snacks. How can I go about this? Is there a special net? Does anyone have experience with this that can give me some ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: How can I remove oscar fry once they are free-swimming?

siphon them out with a length of hose into a bucket.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: How can I remove oscar fry once they are free-swimming?

you can try using a turkey baster

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: How can I remove oscar fry once they are free-swimming?

A normal fishnet should have fine enough mesh for you to be able to catch the fry. However, what you intend on doing with them? It's not unusual for Oscars to lay several hundred eggs.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• spirogyra
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Texas Fry Cloud
  • Thank you received: 4

spirogyra replied the topic: How can I remove oscar fry once they are free-swimming?

I've used a baster to both remove fry and to "squirt" brine shrimp at them but, much of the fun is watching the parents protecting their progeny. Other than feeders, having other fish in the tank is asking for trouble.

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re:How can I remove oscar fry once they are free-swimming?

Just remove the rock they are layed on now and place it in the other tank with a airstone very close but you dont want the bubbles touching the eggs, at this point the parents only function is to fan the eggs and an airstone can replicate that

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds