Female with eggs not eating

• Mr Limpet
  • Mr Limpet's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Mr Limpet created the topic: Female with eggs not eating

I have this new mated pair of Oscars.Just got a few days ago.Female is ripe with eggs,but no breeding tubes have dropped yet.She is not eating any of the pellets I put in the tank.Her male mate eats them fine.Any reason for this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Female with eggs not eating

Welcome to our little community

Worry not, fish always go off as food when they spawn. If you are a carp fishermen and then you will know that spawning season is when they stop eating and you basically catch nothing for a few days :-)

Exactly how do you know she is carrying eggs? I'm assuming that her belly how Swelled up a little bit, this is quite often a tell-tale sign.

If she is going to lay eggs then she should be showing signs such as cleaning the rock, shovelling gravel. If your other Oscar is not behaving in a similar way then the chances are you haven't got a breeding pair. In most cases, when Oscars power up they will both carry out the same duties, i.e. preparing a surface to lay eggs on. You should also see them lip locking and occasionally having what looks like a little fight, all signs that are normal for a breeding pair of Oscars

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Mr Limpet
  • Mr Limpet's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Mr Limpet replied the topic: Female with eggs not eating

I'm pretty sure the female is with eggs.The person I got this pair from had told me they layed eggs for him before but they ate the eggs.He also told me that the female is with eggs again just before he shipped them to me.Females belly is swollen.There is some lip locking and some cleaning of a piece of slate.But no breeding tubes yet.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds