Size of tank for breeding?

• noodle
  • noodle's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4

noodle created the topic: Size of tank for breeding?

I often hear people comment that they have half a dozen baby oscars and intend to let them grow out until a pair forms with the intention of breeding them. Most of the time the tank they mention is too small for 1 or 2 adult oscars, I assume that this is a death sentence for half a dozen young ones! I want to tell them that their tank looks nice but is too small, but I don't want to start that conversation and then not know how large their tank should be for when that inevitable question pops up.

I figure I ask the experts here, what size tank would one require for such an operation? Obviously the bigger the better, but what is considered the minimum?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Size of tank for breeding?

Usually to obtain a pair the formula is get 6 babies & let them grow & pair off naturally, ensuring better odds of M/F ratio....based on the given formula of 55GL bare minimum for one Oscar, that's around 330GLS, but it's not inexpensive to purchase a 300GL+ aquarium, so I would state no less than 180GL, watch them closely over the next few months for signs of pairing, & when that occurs, be prepared to re-home the other 4.

A fully mature biological filter, frequent large-scale partial WC's,& powerful & efficient mechanical filtration would be a given.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: noodle

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Size of tank for breeding?

Definitely not an expert, but if the intention is to have a breeding pair, then a 125 would be bare minimum for the two fish. My understanding is that oscars are slow to pair off so a bigger tank is probably in orde(allow the fish to mature), unless the fish keeper gets really lucky. My only breeding experience is with ca cichlids, and the situation in a tank can turn on a dime.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Size of tank for breeding?

I tried 6 many moons ago in a 5ft tank of about 100gals. Didnt last more than a few weeks, it was constant battle royale. Coulda had 6 males for all I know. I currently have a matched pair, about a foot long each in a 6ft 180g. No signs of any breeding rituals, and they are likely less than 2yrs old.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Size of tank for breeding?

if it is breeding as your main intention, you need to look for a breeding size already, probably a pair as that...
getting a pair from several juvies is a hit and miss... and there is no assurance that they will accept each other...

i have had a chance of pair several times but i didn't give breeding serious consideration... i just want to keep them,
i was able to have eggs and fries every 2 weeks by shuttling 2 females alternately with one male...

a pair could spawn in a 90 gal tank provided you have good filtration and varied feeds. what you need is/are extra tank/s
as grow out, otherwise fingerlings will just kill each other as they grow if you don't have big tank for them...
The following user(s) said Thank You: noodle

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds