eggs in my tank...

• Broncoholic
  • Broncoholic's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Broncoholic created the topic: eggs in my tank...

The Oscars have been moving rock in the last day and now there are tons of eggs in the bottom of the tank.

Should I suck them out into another tank so the other fish stop eating them? In the last hour, seems half of them are already eaten by other fish but are they fertelized? Is it OK to transfer them to another tank?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: eggs in my tank...

Hi there, welcome to our community.

Sucking them out into another tank is pretty much useless. You can hatch eggs artificially, but it does involve using an air stone.

What colour are the eggs?

Also, how big is your tank

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Broncoholic
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Broncoholic replied the topic: eggs in my tank...

Its a 125 gallon tank and the eggs were white and are now a light brown or tan. I've had Ciclids bread easily but don't know much about Oscars. My Balla Shark seems to like the taste of the eggs...
The oscars are protecting the eggs but I think if they hatch, they will be eaten for sure.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

It certainly sounds as if they are fertilised. Eggs start off as being white when they are laid, then they will turn brown colour. To be perfectly honest with you, unless you are really prepared for this occasion, I would probably be inclined to just let everything take its course and leave everything to its fate. If the eggs hatch, you'll probably find the Oscars will protect the fry. However, at some stage you will need to start feeding the young ones, this is after the yolk sac has disappeared, normally about three days. Now the problem you got is if you do carry on and start trying to save the young, what are you going to do with any that do survive?

So it's a case of deciding whether just leave things as they are, or to try and save the young. But you really have got to think ahead, what happens if you have 30 baby Oscars that survive and start growing rapidly? I suppose you could see if a fish store will take them, chances are they won't take an awful lot from you. Good luck and keep us posted

• Broncoholic
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Broncoholic replied the topic: eggs in my tank...

Good point! I really don't need 100 baby oscars or even a dozen for that matter so I let the other dish eat the eggs. They must taste goood cause you could see each fish waiting patiently for the oscars to turn their back and they would engorge themselves. The oscars are not quick enough to protect those eggs! :whistle:

• Thank you received: 29

Gaarakilla19 replied the topic: eggs in my tank...

cool u got a pair , accidental or arranged? also if they bred onece i beleive they will do it again so u need a plan for them or the fry in that matter, goodluck

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

Broncoholic wrote: Good point! I really don't need 100 baby oscars or even a dozen for that matter so I let the other dish eat the eggs. They must taste goood cause you could see each fish waiting patiently for the oscars to turn their back and they would engorge themselves. The oscars are not quick enough to protect those eggs! :whistle:

Who doesn't like poached eggs :-)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds