Mixing Oscar color morphs

• gizzim101
  • gizzim101's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

gizzim101 created the topic: Mixing Oscar color morphs

Hello,

I have bred many different cichlids before but never oscars. I can't seem to get a straight answer as to what the offspring of two different color morphs would look like. Do they look like a jumbled mix of both parents, will some look like dad and others look like mom, or will they lose the color morph all together and just look like wild types? I would really like to hear from some one who has bred two different color oscars and raise the fry to a size where it was apparent as to the color of the off spring. I currently have a 240 gallon with 2 3" lemon tigers and want to get more of the same or maybe different. Ultimately I would like a breeding pair. I even read that if I bred the two lemons oscars I could end up with non lemon looking babies. I am sure the answer is simple to those who have done it. Thanks for any concrete answers. Again, please only reply if you know first hand vs heard or read about it...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: Mixing Oscar color morphs

They would all probably be whatever the more dominant gene is. I can't tell you which one.

In my experience with mixing colors of cichlids only came with convicts. I've had a few different cases where a black convict and pink convict mated. All times all offspring appeared to be your normal black convict.

• gizzim101
  • gizzim101's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

gizzim101 replied the topic: Mixing Oscar color morphs

We'll, I think this is part of my problem. What if two lemon Oscars breed? They both have that recessive gene so what should I expect? Some one here has to have bred and raised fry to some to a size that are identifiable. Anyone???

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds