Female Oscar acting weird?

• Cynthia
  • Cynthia's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Cynthia created the topic: Female Oscar acting weird?

Hi guys!

I was not sure where to ask this question, but I have done some digging around for information on why she is acting the way she is.

Seems that my Female Oscar is trying to lay eggs by herself? Is this possible? I believe she is OK, just acting weird-ER than usual.

She is by herself in the tank. She "digs" in the sand (not like usual) and makes big holes at the bottom. She takes sand in her mouth and spits it back out making large holes exposing the glass at the bottom.

She has shown sighs of aggression towards the siphon when doing a water change. Her body starts to shake as well and her mouth is ready to bite!
She is pale a lot of the time not gray or black. She is a Tiger Oscar.

Is this normal behavior? We are about to have her for a full year now. She has never done this before.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my long essay; thank you for helping me figure this out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Female Oscar acting weird?

well, female oscar can lay eggs even when alone...
but male oscar do the same thing... moving substrate and or
building a nest but will not lay eggs forever...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cynthia

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Female Oscar acting weird?

This action is quite normal for Oscars and many other cichlids. May be a bit young to lay eggs, but is possible. As long as feeding is normal and water quality is maintained, I would say all is fine. You sure its female? How are you sure of this?

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cynthia

• Cynthia
  • Cynthia's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Cynthia replied the topic: Female Oscar acting weird?

Thanks guys! That makes me feel more secure. B)
Water conditions are good and so is her diet. Today she is less pale than other days, but still keeps digging.

The place where we got her told us she had laid eggs and was separated from the other Oscars that were there. However, I never saw it so I really am not 100% sure. I do believe she is a female Oscar because she is very docile, unlike males (or so I have read here), but 100% I am not entirely sure.

Thank you both very much for all of your help! I just wanted to make sure it was not something bad.
Thanks Cynthia ;)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds