mating or territorial behavior ?

• vipergtrdj
  • vipergtrdj's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

vipergtrdj created the topic: mating or territorial behavior ?

We have two oscars in a 75 gallon tank (looking at setting up a 120gallon soon), they are both almost a year old and about a foot in size. One albino, and one tiger oscar. I do water changes every week, 25-50% usually. I would like to think I keep pretty good care of them in their small tank. Well the past 3 or 4 weeks they have been lip locking, and they have cleared three different spots of the tank bottom. They have a couple pieces of flat slate but don't do anything with it. They also do the whole body shiver and flaring at each other.

The albino one does the clearing and hovers above the cleared spot, while the tiger oscar engages the lip locking and flaring (or sits on the opposite side of the tank). Neither one have any bad wounds. The tiger oscar seems to be the one that antagonizes the albino one. When I clean and do their water change they try to charge my hand, which only started to happen since they have done the lip locking. Also, the albino one will only eat occasionally now, doesn't seem really interested in food and doesn't greet me at the top of the tank anymore, while the tiger one always seems to come to the top for food.

Any ideas on if this is a territorial thing, or them mating? If they are mating, how long does this go on for usually, first time I have had a pair of oscars, I have usually only had one at a time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: mating or territorial behavior ?

Hello and welcome to the site. I think what you have is territorial aggression, and perhaps some irritability from less than ideal water quality. You realize that you need more room, which is good, but your water change sched, even at a weekly 50% is far too little for 2 foot long Oscars in a too small tank. I would also advise that if you are intent on keeping these 2 fish, a 120g is not enough either. A 6ft 125g is BARE minimum, and ideally, a 150 or 180g is far better. I have a pair of 12-13in Oscars in a 6ft 180g. They are a M/F couple, have laid eggs. No aggression from them, and twice weekly 75% water changes. Oscars, regardless of sex are quite fond of cleaning spots to the glass in their tanks. You wont confirm a pair until you see eggs.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• vipergtrdj
  • vipergtrdj's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

vipergtrdj replied the topic: mating or territorial behavior ?

Thanks for the fast reply. I will keep an eye on them. Only reason we haven't set up a bigger tank is because we are moving to a first floor apartment in a couple of weeks. Landlord didn't want anything bigger then 75 in our 2nd floor apartment so he has a first floor for us. He said ok to a 120, but ill talk to him about a 150 or bigger.

They do fight oddly for being territorial. Like right now they seem fine and swimming around like nothing is wrong.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: mating or territorial behavior ?

Very good, wish you a safe move. In the meantime, change more water, Oscars are heavy waste producers and very susceptible to health problems due to poor water quality. Do you test your water for levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Do you have plenty of filtration, both mechanical and biological? A 150g tank with 2 big Oscars will need 2 filters of large capacity.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: mating or territorial behavior ?

get a 150 and tell him its 120 gallons.... he wont know the difference unless hes into fish keeping

and good luck with the move :)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds