• OscarFishLover46's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

OscarFishLover46 created the topic: N/A

N/A
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: Are my oscars breeding or just fighting? And can you tell sex?

im not trying to discredit you - but if your a newbie what the hell were you doing with a 450 gallon tank?

besides that lets deal with what we know you have - and the problems you are currently facing.
red devils first off should not be kept with oscars. these things are big, and relentless.... and will kill any oscar.

birchers are something im not too familiar with but i know they can make good oscar tankmates.

plecos get huge (im assuming you have a common pleco) and are poop machines. they need a large tank.

now we move on to the fighting oscars. they are fighting for space. they are in too small of a tank. slight aggression is normal and as long as neither fish is being constantly harassed or injured - it is a hierarchy thing. this is not due to mating as the fish arent big enough to be sexually mature.

unless this 450 is coming back real soon - id highly suggest re homing almost all the fish. currently you only have the tank space available for 1 fish. if this 450 is on its way back once you get everything settled, id keep the red devil in that 60 by itself because he will literally try to claim almost all of that 450 gallon.
  • Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Are my oscars breeding or just fighting? And can you tell sex?

Send pix for sure. Really hard to know until they actually lay eggs. Oscars often dig pits, even when they are by themselves. Good luck with the 450. I hope you get it replaced soon. What a major hassle.

ETA: missed the part about the size of your oscars. Yes, as metalhead says, too small to be sexually mature. I think they need to be more than a year old.
  • Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: N/A

Locking thread.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.
Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds