Fertile Oscar eggs HELP!!

• Tony Colton
  • Tony Colton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Tony Colton created the topic: Fertile Oscar eggs HELP!!

I have an albino oscar at around 2 years and a tiger at around 4-5 years.
I got given the tiger oscar out of a 2ft that was pacing from the lfs and rescued the albino as a baby from pets at home one a few weeks later. They always got on well and have never really fought.
Anyway i get up yesterday and to go feed and their both in the corner hiding something, which turns out to be eggs and from what i can tell their fertile.
I've read and re-read the breeding topic on the page and am still confused, i never had one of the displays that means their going to breed but they are doing everything that is ment to happen after the eggs are fertilized is being done.

The tank is 4x2x2
no lighting
fx6 filter

Now what do i do next?, some have told me to not bother feeding them anything different except maybe some crushed flake. Breeding brine shrimp is a no go, tried many times and failed.
Will a bit of a stocking or tight work on the intake of the filter?
Also their is a dragon goby in the tank. The oscars never usually worry about him but is that now going to change for the next few weeks?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Fertile Oscar eggs HELP!!

I have no experience with breeding, so someone else will respond to your message about that.

Regarding the goby, it's my understanding that they're brackish water fish (approx. 1 cup per 5 gal). I know your Oscars aren't living in that but I was wondering if you have any salt in the water.

• Tony Colton
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Tony Colton replied the topic: Fertile Oscar eggs HELP!!

No their is no salt within the tank, The goby came from someone that kept him/her in a very small freshwater tank from a baby. No-one else would take him on so i did. I figured that if he had survived to get to almost "14 in a 2ft tank then he should be more than happy in mine. So far thats exactly what has happened and him/her has been their a year now.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Fertile Oscar eggs HELP!!

Can you please post a photo of the eggs? How big is the tank you have? Okay, regarding the eggs and if they do hatch. You could potentially have several hundred hatchlings. What are you going to do with them if they do survive? Have you got another tank that is set up ready to take the babies? If you are not set up properly to deal with offspring then really you are up s**t creek, sorry to put it bluntly. Even if you have got somewhere that will take the babies, they are not going to want them until they are a minimum of 1 inch. So you're potentially going to have to look after these face for a few weeks. This is the one reason why I never advise people to breed Oscars intentionally unless they are completely set up to deal with all the babies and then have somewhere that will take them. Now I'm not saying that you bred them intentionally, you are probably like most other people, came down and found eggs without realising what was going on. The best advice I can give you is just leave them to their own fate. You may find that a few survive, you will have to deal with that when the time comes.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Tony Colton
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Tony Colton replied the topic: Fertile Oscar eggs HELP!!

Ill get a picture of the eggs when i get home from work tonight.
The tank is 4x2x2
If they survive their is one local aquatics centre that is happy to take them, thankfully.
No other tank set up, but from what I've read they'll rear their young until around 1.5"?
Breeding oscars was never on my to do list, seems they had other ideas. I'm not going to set up separate tanks etc for the fry but would like to have a go at least seeing one or two grow from eggs once.

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: Fertile Oscar eggs HELP!!

If you have a breeding pair of Oscars they will breed constantly...seriously like worse than rabbits. I know it's cool cause it's the first time, but it gets old quickly. Likely the parents will eat them unless you can invest a couple hundred /thousand dollars in to breeding then properly.

Now, no offense to you..but I must say I hate it when pet stores buy babies from accidental breeders. When I go to buy a fish I want one that is breed for quality. Ticks me off that I could be buying a fish with horrible pedigrees from possibly horrible conditions. Plus the pet store is probably going to take advantage of your misfortune.. Sorry, just a rant not directed at you :)

Just enjoy the eggs while you have them. They will lay more and more and more....
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Fertile Oscar eggs HELP!!

I also have a breeding pair, 12+ins each, not yet 3yrs old. I have had 1 batch of eggs, about 5-6 months ago. Large pleco ate the eggs during the night.No activity since then. Your pair may produce eggs quite regular, or may go very long between.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re:Fertile Oscar eggs HELP!!

Your tank is only large enough for a breeding pair if you intend to keep and raise babies you will need to bump to a 150+ gallon tank and add another fx5

purplecandle wrote:
Now, no offense to you..but I must say I hate it when pet stores buy babies from accidental breeders. When I go to buy a fish I want one that is breed for quality. Ticks me off that I could be buying a fish with horrible pedigrees from possibly horrible conditions. Plus the pet store is probably going to take advantage of your misfortune.. Sorry, just a rant not directed at you :)

You will never find quality stock at an LFS unless its a very special and rare one, if you want quality stock you buy from quality sources and pay for it. Also locally breed are typically better than the mass produced Chinese fish farm oscars that most fish suppliers provide

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.240 seconds