Pictures of Oscar Genitalia

• purplecandle
  • purplecandle's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 41

purplecandle created the topic: Pictures of Oscar Genitalia

These are just some lucky shots. Hopefully they are helpful to someone. Please note these pics were taken at different times with different decor and substrate in the tank. Same 2 Oscars. Tiger female, Lutino male.

Female, tiger

Male Lutino

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nostymos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• purplecandle
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

purplecandle replied the topic: Pictures of Oscar Genitalia

Just for fun a few more pics

This is them right before they charge at the camera

This is the "What do you think you're doing?" Stare down..

This is an Oscar photo bomb..

The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Pictures of Oscar Genitalia

Those are some great pics. I like both oscars - they make a good pair. GREAT looking tiger! Are these older pictures or did your oscar just lay eggs?
The following user(s) said Thank You: purplecandle

• purplecandle
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Some are older, but they did just lay eggs. They lay eggs every month or so. On my second post, those eggs are from now. But they are not fertilized. I moved that rock closer to the hob and added a bubble wand to add just enough current to prevent his "contribution" from sticking. So far Its worked 2 times in a row.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Pictures of Oscar Genitalia

Thanks for posting those pics purple. Good to know! For what it's worth, RD sex organs look quite similar to your pic as well. I imagine you could refer to these pics and get at least a general reference for most American cichlids.

I took my best guess at sexing my RDs by referring to this thread on MFK, and a couple of other similar pics www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?126340-Please-post-pic-on-how-to-tell-the-sex-of-Red-Devil (about halfway down the page).

• purplecandle
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

They are similar. The egg tube on the female is slightly different than mine. Perhaps it's not extended all the way..

You'd think you could sex all fish the same way (an easy way) and instantly know who's who. Like a cat or dog. But, nature says different.

• Thank you received: 97

ernie replied the topic: Re:Pictures of Oscar Genitalia

Interesting photos Purple thanks for posting. The male lutino looks considerably smaller than the female are they the same age? It's funny you would assume the bigger fish is the male but then again we are talking about Oscars.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Pictures of Oscar Genitalia

@Purple: I'm sure it's pretty obvious to the fish themselves :P But I know what you mean.

Also, I thought I'd mention that your female tiger has absolutely gorgeous colouration. Her orange stripes are so vibrant they look like they're on fire.

Out of curiosity - how did you find a compatible pair?

• purplecandle
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

purplecandle replied the topic: Re:Pictures of Oscar Genitalia

ernie wrote: Interesting photos Purple thanks for posting. The male lutino looks considerably smaller than the female are they the same age? It's funny you would assume the bigger fish is the male but then again we are talking about Oscars.

Ok..this sounds crazy...but the easy way to explain the size difference is his genetics. He is the Danny Divito of Oscars. He is oddly proportioned, has been that way since we got him as a baby. I'll try to find a baby photo.

Both Oscars are roughly the same age surprisingly. He gets the same amount of food.

However he is deceptive, he jumped out the tank a few weeks ago and I had to pick him up by hand and he was heavy! So I guess he is just a stout fellow.

• purplecandle
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Lammergeier wrote: @Purple: I'm sure it's pretty obvious to the fish themselves :P But I know what you mean.

Also, I thought I'd mention that your female tiger has absolutely gorgeous colouration. Her orange stripes are so vibrant they look like they're on fire.

Out of curiosity - how did you find a compatible pair?

Accident! I planed and bought my Oscar, the tiger. A few days later, my husband who doesn't care at all about my fish obsession, insisted we get a baby lutino Oscar at the pet store.

Some employees at the pet store were throwing crickets into his tank and he would jump up to eat them. I guess my hubby found that fun.

I'm glad they are paired and get along... but I don't want any babies! I was just hoping I would end up with them both being female.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds