Father To Be?

• AppleJuice
  • AppleJuice's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

AppleJuice created the topic: Father To Be?

Hey guys,
I'm only new to this forum but i can already tell im going to ask an extremely common question. Do any of you think these eggs are fertilized? I've had two Oscars for about a year and they were sold as a breeding pair. I have not idea what I'm doing to say the least. I read that a light tan colour is what to look out for but im not 100% sure. Also, both Oscars started to eat a couple of the eggs. I read this was normal but they did so pretty aggressively so i quickly sectioned off the area the eggs are in. Was this the right call? Also, while sealing off the area, one bit me. Is this a good sign? They're trying to protect them?

Any sort of help is really appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Father To Be?

Welcome to our little community, nice to have you on board

Well, one word for your tank WOW! I would say this is probably one of the most stunning aquariums I've ever seen, it simply fantastic, the sort of aquarium you would find at a commercial aquarium. I am assuming that is all fake rock at the back? Really eye-catching

Okay, your eggs? Unfertilised eggs are normally white, fertilised eggs normally turn brown tan-ish colour. I don't know whether it's the environment that has made the eggs look anything but whites, but it's difficult to say. No, you must let the Oscars tend the eggs. The Oscars will be doing their crust if they can't get the eggs. Without the Oscars looking after the eggs, the eggs won't hatch, they need to be oxygenated properly, this is why the Oscars swim around fanning them. Please let the Oscars access the eggs straightaway, let's hope it's not too late.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• AppleJuice
  • AppleJuice's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

AppleJuice replied the topic: Father To Be?

Hey thanks a lot! That goes really a long way haha. The background is actually normally for a lizard terrarium. It's one piece that slid right in. I'm planning to find a piece of driftwood that looks like a tress root to get a river bank look :)
Yeah they definitely aren't white (one or two is and they stand out like a swore thumb). The photo makes them look a bit weird coloured because my tank light is blue. And you're right they were pretty pissed off, they've only been locked away for a few hours though so hopefully i didn't stuff up. As soon as I removed the the mesh they went straight over and started fanning them. Only time will tell i guess for now! Thanks a lot for the help too!

• Thank you received: 3

Debow replied the topic: Re:Father To Be?

Just want to say congrats on baby's and I look forward to hear more !!

Kytha Debow: jamberry and fish lover

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re:Father To Be?

Leave the eggs with the pair they will do a fantastic job of taking care of them but be aware they will most likely eat a few batches till they get it right but dont worry once they start laying you wont be able to stop them unless you separate them, the best thing to do when they lay is give them space and cut way back on your feeding. Typically you can tell before they lay because they will clean a rock off when they do this do a huge water change with like 2 degree colder water and they will typically lay within 24 hours

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds