Ron and Vicky sitting in a tree...

• Bri B
  • Bri B's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 32

Bri B created the topic: Ron and Vicky sitting in a tree...

So over the last few days my pair have been acting odd with a lot of lip locking, bumping, rubbing messing with substrate etc. Some minor damages, Ron has some scrapes and Vicky ended up with a little split at the back of her dorsal fin but has no dings. She's actually the aggressor mainly which is amusing since he is a good bit larger. I watched about 20 separate videos on oscar pre breeding rituals today and it is exactly what they have been doing. Basically just wanted to ask anyone who has went through this if there are any adjustments I need to make for them or just sit back and let them do what they do. They already get a massive wc every 2 days and I just added a new AC 30 hob to the tank since petsmart was having a killer sale. Between my 306 cannister the huge hob and this ac30 they have insane filtration and parameters are as clean as it gets. Any advice or stories would be helpful.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Ron and Vicky sitting in a tree...

previously, i have a pair who had spawn several times.. i just leave them alone and allow other fish to take down the fries... at some point, the two decided to fight relentlessly until the muscle at he cheek of the female was detached/removed. i had to separate them for awhile ... and when i re-introduce back the male, they spawn again..

my point is,... give them the slate to test and clean ... just keep an eye and observed liplocking doesn't go beyond body and tail.

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Bri B replied the topic: Re:Ron and Vicky sitting in a tree...

Thanks Draco I am certainly keeping a close eye on them. From what I've read there really isn't much to change or do. Just wanted some real life stories from some of the regulars here.

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Ron and Vicky sitting in a tree...

I don't know Bri, generally speaking oscars do not reach sexual maturity until around two years of age. I don't know from first hand experience, but think it would be very unusual for fish the age range of yours to be breeding. The best thing I can tell you is to keep a close eye on things, in case this behavior escalates into something serious. If you can get a video of them that would be good. Does the female have her breeding tube down?

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Ron and Vicky sitting in a tree...

I knew you had a pair! Bahaha.

Bri there isn't much you can do other than keep a good eye on them for any full-on aggression. That said, you may be reaching the point where you really will have to get a larger tank for them.

Be funny if Ron's the girl and Vicky's the boy.

Edit: Rob is right though about the age. Keep a good eye on them, this may be more aggression than breeding behaviour. Seconding the vid request.

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Haha Ron being a chick would b hilarious.
Rob no tube out on either and I know they are young. Watching all those videos of breeding ritual today really has me thinking that's what's going on. What they are doing is exactly what I saw in the videos. I will try and get a video but it will be a challenge as the behavior is sparatic. Majority of the time they are doing their usual thing.

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Also they have grown at a rate I can't believe. Just rough guesses but Ron is every bit of 6 inches and Vicky Def a little over 5.

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

And lamm Def need the bigger tank. Will end up getting that 75 setup I was talking about and either getting them both in there temporarily or splitting them permanently if they end up not being compatible

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Re:Ron and Vicky sitting in a tree...

oh yeah... i forgot to ask that point... how old are they? because my started to spawn on the 18th month from egg hatching LOL! the fish maybe small but old enough to mate.. size will not change the breeding process.

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Re:Ron and Vicky sitting in a tree...

Bri B wrote: Haha Ron being a chick would b hilarious.
Rob no tube out on either and I know they are young. Watching all those videos of breeding ritual today really has me thinking that's what's going on. What they are doing is exactly what I saw in the videos. I will try and get a video but it will be a challenge as the behavior is sparatic. Majority of the time they are doing their usual thing.

It would be very cool if you end up with eggs. You know I am a Ron and Vicky fan, or maybe a Von and Ricky fan. I hope everything is good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bri B

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds