Three Oscars all doing breeding rituals

• liamfellows
  • liamfellows's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

liamfellows created the topic: Three Oscars all doing breeding rituals

please help as all three of my oscars (2 boys 1 girl - i think) are moving sand, lip locking, cleaning a flat limestone rock.

i really do want them to breed but not sure if they will. they do have their breeding tubes out

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Three Oscars all doing breeding rituals

Hi there, welcome to our little community.

How exciting for you, I've been there myself and it's really interesting to see them doing this. Exactly what kind of help are you looking for? It might be a good idea if you give us a rundown of how big your tank is, what sort of filtration you are running. Also, how big and how old are the Oscars? If possible, can you take a video or some photos, that would be very helpful indeed.

Finally, if you Oscars to successfully breed, you may end up was several hundred little baby Oscars, any ideas what you are going to do with them?

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• liamfellows
  • liamfellows's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

liamfellows replied the topic: Three Oscars all doing breeding rituals

I am not sure if they actually will breed. They are five but the the first 3.5 years of their life they were in a huge pond but it wasn't the cleanest.

I do have a second tank about about a foot long, wide and tall that I could use. Although not all of them will fit. So if I am lucky enough I would probably leave half in there and half in the original tank.

I'm trying to send through a video now, but I'm not sure how.

• Thank you received: 40

face mcshooty replied the topic: Three Oscars all doing breeding rituals

welcome
it's impossible to tell for sure if they will breed or not but if you've seen there breeding tubes they more than likely will if they do breed thare will probably be aggression towards the 1 remaining oscar so you might want to have a backup plan just in case things get nasty

as for what to do with the eggs if i were you i would remove them before they hatch and dispose of them because your going to need a lot of space if you decide to keep them way more than you have currently not to mention trying to sell hundreds of baby oscars is quite a task

(you can post videos by uploading them to youtube when copying and pasting the url)

Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead focus on what to do next

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds