Force breeding

• Hippyboi23
  • Hippyboi23's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Hippyboi23 created the topic: Force breeding

How do I force breed my two albino oscars??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Force breeding

Welcome to our little community

Unfortunately there is no way you will force fish to breed with each other. Female cichlids are very particular about male cichlids and they will only breed with a male that meets their strict standards. You'll probably find that this is why even though many many people keep two Oscars together, it's very rare for them to form a successful breeding pair, basically the female just doesn't like the male. Some people may argue the fact that their female both lay eggs and the male does appear to try and fertilise them. What a lot of people don't realise is that fish breeders use chemicals that can actually make fish infertile, which may explain why the male Oscar doesn't manage to fertilise the eggs.

Anyway, going a bit of track there, just put your two Oscars together and hope for the best. It will either happen or it won't. Also bear in mind that because they are in a home aquarium they are not going to be exposed to the conditions they would do in the wild. In the Amazon River most fish will breed during the rainy season. In the wild they are triggered interbreeding by rainfall, this is often why many people find that their Oscars have laid eggs after a water change. Stingray breeders replicate rainfall by spraying water on the surface which triggers them into spawning. I've never tried it myself, but you could try adding an extra couple of spray bars which could replicate rainfall.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Hippyboi23
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Hippyboi23 replied the topic: Force breeding

I believe they are a matched pair I just want to speed up the breeding process but thank you for your advice

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Force breeding

A few questions:

Do you know how old they are?
How long have they been together?
Have you seen any signs of breathing rituals, i.e. lip locking, chasing each other around, cleaning rocks?

If the Oscars haven't reached sexual maturity then they will not have paired off. Many people think that just because Oscar's hang around with each other they have a pair, that isn't the case.

Anyway, give us some more information.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Hippyboi23
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Hippyboi23 replied the topic: Force breeding

Did you get my emails by change I replied through email don't know if that works lol

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds