Aggression among Oscars parents post laying eggs and fertilization.

• SiriOssi
  • SiriOssi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

SiriOssi created the topic: Aggression among Oscars parents post laying eggs and fertilization.

Is there anyone here who has a lot of experience breeding Oscars?

I have a couple of adult Oscars one male and one female alone in a 300 Liter tank.

They began breeding few months ago. (I think they are on their fifth attempt right now)

A couple of those attempts reached the wigglers stage and then the next day they were gone.

One time lasted more than 10 days and the babies were free swimming and eating on their own and one day they were all gone.

There is a lot of aggression including lip locking post laying the eggs. Is this normal?

Last night they laid eggs for the fifth time. Any suggestions on what should I do to protect the babies?

Thanks for all the help in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Aggression among Oscars parents post laying eggs and fertilization.

Have you checked your water conditions? 300 L is just about big enough for one Oscar, let alone two. Oscar Fry require pristine water conditions in order to survive. If your water conditions are not adequate then fry will not survive.

Have you got the other fish in the tank apart from the two Oscars? Maybe they are being eaten. If a are dying quickly then the Oscars are probably eating them.

You have two options. Assuming that the Oscars have laid on my rock, you could remove the rock with the eggs on and hatch them artificially. Alternatively, wait until they hatch and then remove them and put them in a tank on their own. It takes about three days for the yolk sac to disappear, this is when you have to feed them. The best food for baby Fry's baby brine shrimp. Feeding them on a decent food will give them the best chance of life. You can buy a brine shrimp hatchery plus eggs and hatch them in 24 hours. Alternatively, you can buy a liquid fry food.

There's very little chance that the fry well survive for a long time if you leave them with the adult Oscars. Even though the parents will look after the try and protect them initially, at some stage the Oscars will look upon them as food.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• SiriOssi
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

SiriOssi replied the topic: Aggression among Oscars parents post laying eggs and fertilization.

I check my water regularly and make regular water changes. I do not think the water has anything to do with it. There are no other fish in the tank. I was feeding the babies Artemia after the yolk sac was gone. The eggs right now on a flat rock, but I guess i would wait until the yolk sac is gone then i will move the babies to a different tank.

What about the aggression between the parents?

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Aggression among Oscars parents post laying eggs and fertilization.

How do the parents behave whilst they are looking after the eggs? You've probably seen them fanning the eggs with their pectoral fins make sure that the eggs are getting plenty of oxygen. If the eggs are hatching then obviously they are doing everything right. How bad is the aggression between the parents, are they actually injuring themselves? Obviously they have formed a breeding pair so I don't suppose you want to split them up. The only other advice I can really give you is to upgrade your tank so it much bigger. I'm afraid that isn't any quick fix for stopping aggression between Oscars. Giving them extra space may help, it may not, you will only know when you try.

Are you getting a lot of hatchlings?

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• SiriOssi
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

SiriOssi replied the topic: Aggression among Oscars parents post laying eggs and fertilization.

I used to have 8 Oscars. These two formed a pair and I got rid of the others. Now I only have those 2. They have laid eggs 5 or 6 times so far. After the female lay the eggs and the male fertilizes them then the male chase the female away from the eggs and he stay by himself guarding them and fanning them. Every time the female gets close he attacks her so she runs away and hide. Sometime they lip luck and the female ends up with some scratches no serious damage so far. But, i am finding it strange that he is not allowing her to share the duties of taking care of the babies.

Here is a video of one of the previous attempt:

• SiriOssi
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

That video was taken on day 12. On day 13 all these babies were gone. We are not talking here about water quality were you might have one baby die today and another the day after and so on and so forth.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds