Post laying eggs

• amagwood
  • amagwood's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

amagwood created the topic: Post laying eggs

I am new to the oscar fish.
I originally had two oscar fish in the same tank for about 6 months ( classroom pets). Recently they began displaying aggressive behaviours such as lip locking and chasing. At first, I didn't pay it much mind until the albino oscar started scaling the black oscar. I bought another fish tank and put the black on in that fish tank by its self. A week later I noticed egg-like structures at the bottom of the tank. As shown in the pictures below.
I am totally lost because the two fish has been separated for a week now, how are the eggs fertilized? Did the black oscar save the fertilized eggs until it was in favourable conditions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 595

Suprd71 replied the topic: Post laying eggs

Hello and welcome to OFL. Those are not eggs. Looks more like excrement. Oscars lay hundreds, sometimes a thousand eggs, all tiny and round. Fish need to be adults, near 2yrs old to be sexually mature. You did the right thing to separate the fish, what you saw was fighting, territorial battles. They wont get along

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Post laying eggs

Yes, I'm afraid to tell you that Dave is quite correct, this is nothing like what eggs look like. The photo below shows you what eggs will look like.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds