Possible HITH???

• dellingsen
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

dellingsen replied the topic: Re:Possible HITH???

Thanks for all the posts! There's alot of good info here.

I did a big water change yesterday (around 60-70%) and vacuumed the gravel with my Python. Every time I change the water I add Neutral Regulator to help keep the pH in balance and to remove any chlorine in the water.

As far as filtration, I have a Marineland / Aquaria Multi Stage Canister Filter C-Series: C-360 360GPH. BUT I'm also using Chemi-Pure and after reading up on the use of carbon, I'm considering discontinuing the use of carbon altogether. I'd be interested in hearing other opinions on the use of carbon.

I feed my Oscar Hikari Cichlid Bio-Gold+ and I supplement this with the occasional freeze dried krill, frozen blood worms, frozen tubiflex worms and frozen beef hearts. I usually feed all my fish every other day since I've read that overfeeding can create water problems. I take care to remove any unfinished food that may be floating around, but I rarely have to do that since I'm feeding them every other day.

Today I did pick up some medication from my local pet store. It's a product by API called "General Cure". It was the only one I could find that specifically listed treatment of HITH disease. The active ingredients are 250 mg Metronidazole and 75 mg Praziquantel per packets. The package only treats 100 gallons and I have a 75 gallon tank. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has used this product before.

I'm stepping up the water changes and I'll see how this goes before I use the meds.I 'd like to see if i can get things under control naturally first. If I do decide to use the meds, I'll toss the Chemi-Pure.

Thanks again for all the great advice!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

drew replied the topic: Re:Possible HITH???

realy hope he pulls through for you by the sounds of things you have arough idea if not a good idea of what you are doing. and also pleased your taking steps to curing him alot of people in this world would have just gave up.
hes got a great diet so im sure hes alot healthier than he apears minus the HITH.
looks a nasty case of HITH but with the care your giving him from what ive read he should pull through in no time at all.
keep it up and keep us informed of how you get on with him

cheers drew

Kenshin_Himura replied the topic: Re:Possible HITH???

Agreed ... having an O that actually eats Bio-Gold+ is a great thing. Mine is being quite stubborn since he thinks those medium pellets are just way too small to bother with ... they come out of his gills untouched!

Like I said, I stopped using carbon a while ago, and will ONLY use it to remove chemical medication from now on, which, I hope to never use.

I know nothing of Neutral Regulator and Chemi-Pure ... hope someone else can chime in on those products. I take it Chemi-Pure is carbon? Just by the wording and timing, but I try not to make too many assumptions ;)

Again, pH, as long as it is steady, is ok ... unless you have some awfully extreme pH from your source. If you test your pH before and after use of this product, you may be able to ween it out of use. The less chemicals the better.

There is another reason I say this ... municipalities add pH buffers that dissipate with time. They do it to protect the pipes.

So, also, take two containers of water, treat one, and let them both sit for a few days to a week, then test the pH in them as well.

This set of experiments will give you an accurate representation of actual pH, how well the product works over time, and what your Oscar is experiencing.

I do remember something HITH related to pH, as in some fish, even down to the individual, may be more sensitive to an acidic/alkaline condition than others.

Your case of HITH isn't the most severe I have seen, if you want to see how bad it can get, check out this link ... the albino oscar on the bottom of the set of pictures is not for the weak of heart:

HITH/LLE article

Now, I may just not see it, but the Os above that looks like normal sensory pits, but very noticeable because of the flash and distance of the camera. But I do see it on the other tropical fish.

I agree with you about waiting to use the meds. To me, chemicals are a last resort, and now that you saw that albino O, you know you have caught it very early on. Should heal up at a decent pace.

If you do use the meds, you must remove the carbon first, or it will suck the meds out. So, carbon after you are done with meds ... after the first water change or two to get most of the medication out and make the use of the carbon more effective.

Depending on what other fish you have in the tank ... Once your O heals, I would still keep at least a once a week change going. It won't hurt the fish to have a bit cleaner water ... and it usually doesn't take more than an hour or two ;)

A whole lot easier than maintaining a kitty or doggy! (especially if you have more than one fish! Two cats can fill a litter box fast :P)

timskie replied the topic: Re:Possible HITH???

Best to leave carbon out you're filter unless removing meds!If you're tank smells you need to know about it,carbon just hides problems,then we end up with health problems like what you're experiencing now.Ill be honest ive never had a case of hith(touch wood)and hopefully never will.I do water changes twice a week and sometimes if ive nothing to do,my partner says i should marry them instead of her lol.Good luck with the hith hope you clear it up.;)

• dellingsen
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

dellingsen replied the topic: Re:Possible HITH???

I thought I'd give an update on my Oscar's health and report on how he's (or she) is fairing with HITH.

First, and foremost, I've been testing the water daily. No problems in that department. I've stepped up water changes to at least 50% every 3 to 5 days. I removed the Chemi-pure which was the carbon I was using in my canister filter. I treated the tank with a product called General Cure by API. This was about a week ago, but I'm not seeing any change in the pitting. My Oscar's appetite is normal. I've been keeping to the "every other day" feeding approach to keep the water quality in check. Other than the visible pitting, my Oscar is totally normal in his behavior. I've included a couple of pics. I'm wondering if I need to try a different medication, but I'm looking for recommendations. I'm also not sure how long this is supposed go on. Should I be seeing improvements by now? It's been about 3 weeks. This is my first Oscar and I've grown quite attached and would hate to lose him due to something that I could have prevented. Any advice...words of assurance, etc. would be appreciated!

Vbaby replied the topic: Re:Possible HITH???

hith is a hard one u need 2 keep up with huge water changes as often as possible and yr nitrates,nitrites,amonia as low as possibble and see how it goes,keep us posted

DONT BUY ON IMPULSE DO SUM HOMEWORK FIRST

• Thank you received: 37

delboybully replied the topic: Re:Possible HITH???

It takes a long time to cure HITH. The problem is no one really knows what causes it and how to cure it, however the best quality water seems to help. There is no guarantee your fish will get better, it may get worse and even die even if you keep the water changes up and the water quality good. Just keep the water the best you can and hopefully he will get better. Good luck and keep us updated

I can't get no sleep

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 2.456 seconds