Timid Oscar

• revlok
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

revlok created the topic: Timid Oscar

My Oscar (seen in my avatar) Ghost used to be very friendly with me. He would jump out of the water for treats and on the rare occasion let me touch him- and this is only after having him for about 1 week. Now, he only comes out at night or when the light has been severely dimmed (hense me changing his name from Puppy to Ghost). I believe it may be because I had two old fish (Giant Danio and Midnight Dalmation Mollie) that I transfered from another tank die of old age recently after Ghost had befriended them. I believe Ghost may be mourning their deaths, but it has been over a week since that incident and he still won't come out.

In addition, he seems to be very angry with me because I was forced to move around everything in the tank to find the decaying corpse of the mollie- and to allow better waterflow from my filter.

He absolutely refuses to come out to see me- anyone have a remedy or possible way to repair the relationship with me and Ghost?

Thank you greatly in advance for any help =]

Beau, 18, Male, WA U.S.A.
New to Oscars, only had them since about summer of \\\'07. Finally got my own Jan, \\\'08 after my b-day. His name is Ghost and he is still a baby. Plan to get a larger tank when he gets older and I have the funding for it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 417

OFL replied the topic: Re:Timid Oscar

Don't worry, your fish is not mourning. Many people would like to believe that Oscars are highly intelligent. I'm not saying they don't possess a degree of intelligence, they are probably one of the smartest fish around. However, they haven't evolved enough to possess emotions such as feeling sad and being happy. There is a big difference between a fish being stressed and not being itself, to actually possessing human type emotions.

This is my opinion anyway, I'm sure people will disagree with me but I have studied the fish a lot over the years.

I should just give it a little bit of time, fish often act strangely. I've observe my Oscars doing some very strange things recently. One of my Oscars seems to let the other Oscar have first choice of the food when it's put in the tank. However, other occasions it just gets in there and eats. If only we could get inside and Oscars head

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Miahl71 replied the topic: Re:Timid Oscar

I think you are right all the changes in the tank have affected his mood. I think if you give it a little time he will come around again.
Good luck

Name - Miah, Age - 36, Gender - Male, Location - Rhode Island

75 gal tank w/ 5 O\'s 2 Albino, 1 Tiger, 1 Red, 1 Lemon. All Juveniles. Building (1) 150 gal tank soon to be ready for spring. Hope to get a breeding pair out of the 5 I have.

• revlok
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

revlok replied the topic: Re:Timid Oscar

Okay thank you for the reassurance- I just found it strange that this has gone on so very long (longer than i've normally seen for such a small change).

Back when me and my friends first got oscars we knew next do nothing about fish at all sadly and ran into loads of trouble right from the get-go. Like that giant water beetles and oscars do not mix...overcrowding issues...ammonia problems...filter clogging...poor water quality...trace amounts of copper in water...ick...fin rot...gill infections... and it seemed that even though all of these catastrophies, even more than one happening at the same time, the Oscars seemed to bounce back after about a day.

At least I'm glad to say I've learned from my mistakes and can help beginners from around here with some of these problems =]

Beau, 18, Male, WA U.S.A.
New to Oscars, only had them since about summer of \\\'07. Finally got my own Jan, \\\'08 after my b-day. His name is Ghost and he is still a baby. Plan to get a larger tank when he gets older and I have the funding for it.

Vbaby replied the topic: Re:Timid Oscar

you should be ok oscars oscars like to sulk

DONT BUY ON IMPULSE DO SUM HOMEWORK FIRST

• Thank you received: 37

delboybully replied the topic: Re:Timid Oscar

Sounds like he is not happy that you have moved things and changed the tank around, he will hopefully be back to his normal self soon. Just to be sure check your water quality is good

I can't get no sleep

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 2.862 seconds