Oscar skimming on rocks?

• vaga
  • vaga's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

vaga created the topic: Oscar skimming on rocks?

Hi this is my first post here and i was wondering if anyone could help...I have two Oscars 1 black tiger and 1 albino tiger. I have had them maybe 7-8 months and they are slightly bigger then my hand(much bigger then when i got them).. I feed them Hikari Cichild staple for growth not color, and about a half dozen med. feeder fish when i do my weekly water change seems to make them a little calmer after i go in and mess up there house...But to the problem.

I have notice my albino Oscar for about 3 months now acting i don't know if its strange or normal..He will swim to the bottom of the tank and eat some rocks then spit them out, after he dose this he will swim sideways across them scraping his side on them. Sometimes he dose this 3 or 4 times in a row and sometimes he wont do it for days. The only change in the water condition is that in my last water change today i used slightly warmer water so the water was a bit mercky.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

revlok replied the topic: Re:Oscar skimming on rocks?

Does your oscar seem to be going all the way to the bottom of the tank and clearing out to a flat surface?

Or maybe your oscar has stumbled onto a way of getting food out of the gravel?

Beau, 18, Male, WA U.S.A.
New to Oscars, only had them since about summer of \\\'07. Finally got my own Jan, \\\'08 after my b-day. His name is Ghost and he is still a baby. Plan to get a larger tank when he gets older and I have the funding for it.

johnl replied the topic: Re:Oscar skimming on rocks?

That's pretty normal behavior for an Oscar. They love to move the gravel around and re-arrange things in the tank. I wouldn't worry about it.

125 Gal
One Tiger O ** One Lutino O ** Pleco ** Four SD\\\\\\\'s
55 Gal Community Tank
30 Gal Quarantine

• vaga
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

vaga replied the topic: Re:Oscar skimming on rocks?

The Oscar i don't think clearing rocks away..but thanks for the idea and as far as the food i use floating pellets and i keep a pretty clean tank. But thank you for the comments and the help.

And thanks for the ease to the mind there...i guess i should have just figured he was being a pain the pair of them like the pull out all the plants and re arrange the rest or the decor in the tank.

• Thank you received: 37

delboybully replied the topic: Re:Oscar skimming on rocks?

Normal oscar behaviour, and you will soon get fed up of rearranging the plants and will give up on them. If you want plants in your tank then can use those ones with a sucker on with a weight on each arm, or you can use plants growing on wood, or to simulate that with plastic plants by wedging them between between to bits of decor but of the ground

I can't get no sleep

• vaga
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

vaga replied the topic: Re:Oscar skimming on rocks?

Yah i have allready gave up on my plants it down to just my air pumps for decoration they seem to like to put the back fins in the bubbles.

• Thank you received: 37

delboybully replied the topic: Re:Oscar skimming on rocks?

most oscar keepers use rocks and driftwood as decor

I can't get no sleep

• Verse34K
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • ?????????????
  • Thank you received: 2

Verse34K replied the topic: Re:Oscar skimming on rocks?

As long as it's not excessive it's normal oscar behavior. If it does become excessive, you may be dealing with ich, but i don't think that's the case.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds