Don't know what happened

• vaga
  • vaga's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

vaga created the topic: Don't know what happened

I woke up today in a fairly good mood beacuse i just got my Oscars a new tank last night(not in it yet). But when i went to feed them today i noticed a spot odd shape on my black tiger Oscar. its in the shape of a "A" on his right side right below the begging of his fin(on his back). Also he has gone from a grayish black to a really light gray? The only thing i can think of that would cause a mark like that would be the heather
(burn)but im compleatly lost on how to help him and what to do...Any help would be awsome..Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Re:Don't know what happened

A photograph would be good. I've often heard people talking about fish being burned by the heaters. I can't see how this can happen, I have one of my heaters set on 28°C and it certainly isn't hot enough to burn anything. I also see my Oscars brushing against the heater in my 125 tank quite often than they never come to any harm, this is also set quite high. You might find that your o just bashed himself against something the tank

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

revlok replied the topic: Re:Don't know what happened

Do you have anything jagged in the tank? Or do you have rocky gravel and stuff that the oscar could possibly get partially stuck underneath? I've seen both of these cause scratches and marks on oscars. Sometimes my oscar would get stuck under the heater because one of its sides were uplifted slightly. It would panic and occasionally scratch himself a little, so I buried it in the gravel so that only the top sticks out a little.

Also, oscars tend to change colour a little bit depending on (from my experience) lighting conditions and stress- which may explain the change from dark grey to light grey.

Beau, 18, Male, WA U.S.A.
New to Oscars, only had them since about summer of \\\'07. Finally got my own Jan, \\\'08 after my b-day. His name is Ghost and he is still a baby. Plan to get a larger tank when he gets older and I have the funding for it.

• vaga
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

vaga replied the topic: Re:Don't know what happened

Thank you both for my help...i was able to get a picture of him for you so if this will help at all in figuring out what wrong with him.

Again thanks

revlok replied the topic: Re:Don't know what happened

From picture alone, it appears to be a bruise from the oscar running into something. My friends 5" oscar got spooked when we dropped an ammonia tablet in and gave himself a bruise on the side that closely resembles the one on your oscar. I'd not worry too much unless it continues to have that bruise for a long time. If it lasts a long time it may have an internal bleed.

Beau, 18, Male, WA U.S.A.
New to Oscars, only had them since about summer of \\\'07. Finally got my own Jan, \\\'08 after my b-day. His name is Ghost and he is still a baby. Plan to get a larger tank when he gets older and I have the funding for it.

• vaga
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

vaga replied the topic: Re:Don't know what happened

Ok thanks allot...ill watch it and make sure it gos away...Im gonna give him a couple days before i put them in the new tank

Jeffrey replied the topic: Re:Don't know what happened

When i turn the lights on in the morning, my oscar looks pale but in the evening he looks dark and colorful, that's natural and oscars heal very quickly within 2 days or like that. so not to worry:)

100 US Gallon Tank - 1 Tiger Oscar (Tiger);
1 Common Pleco

30 Gallon Tank - 4 Angels (1 Veil Tail, 1 Albino, 2 Marble)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds