sick oscar

• klein2
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

klein2 created the topic: sick oscar

Oscar has been laying on its side. Does not swim unless touched. The center of body is swollen. We have feed food on the surface of water. Could he have gotten to much air,if so can any thing be done

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 418

OFL replied the topic: Re:sick oscar

I'd better warn you that I've come across this type of symptom many times before and in many cases, the fish is terminal and there's nothing you can do for it. A swollen abdomen is a very bad sign I'm afraid. It is more of a symptom than an illness, in other words, there is something causing the abdomen to swell. There could be any number of reasons for this, blocked intestine, tumour, bacteria infection, parasitic infection, water retention due to organ problems. So you can see that it really is impossible to treat the fish if you don't know what you are dealing with

If the fish breathing heavily at all? my suggestion would be if the fish is not eating and remains like this for more than a week, put it down humanely using clove oil. However, give it a chance and see if it gets any better. Check your water conditions and make sure they are good. That's about as much advice as I can give you

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Vbaby replied the topic: Re:sick oscar

swollen abdomen could be many things hopfully yr oscar just needs a big poo.

DONT BUY ON IMPULSE DO SUM HOMEWORK FIRST

Margaret150 replied the topic: Re:sick oscar

Possible Sick/Going To Die Oscar ~ opinion please. I have this oscar since he was a squirt. In fact we call him squirt because he never really grew properly. And, he has always had this deformed shape, protruding like to his abdomen area. He looks fine but his stomach is really deformed. He basically staying at the top because I think hes stomach is keeping him from swimming properly. And, the other fish are going after him mainly attacking the abdominal area, and when they do nip him all mirky stuff comes out. Almost like when they shoot the food out through the gills only this is on the other end. I know they suffer from constipation but do you believe that SOME
fish may have defromities and problems since birth and then end up with a possible early demise. I feel so bad
but something has never been quite right with this fish.
Thanks for your help.

Vbaby ~ I do hope your oscar gets better. I didn't read your post before writing mine because I'm on dial up and
most times get kocked off before I'm done posting and since
I'm having a similar problem I did want to get my post out there too. Its amazing how fish act sometimes. As I sit here watching whats going on my other oscar are actually NOT picking on the ill one but it looks like they are actually trying to help it or do something for it. They are nudging it as to keep it moving. My firemouth did that to his buddy too when he was not doing well.

Anyways, good luck and keep us posted and I will do the same.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 418

OFL replied the topic: Re:sick oscar

Fish will often attack sick and dying fish. This maybe what is happening in your case. As for what is wrong, that is a very difficult question to answer. A swollen abdomen is a symptom, not a disease. For this reason, it can be very difficult to treat. You say your fish has had a deformed stomach since you've got it, it may well have had health problems from the word go. It could be something to do with its internal organs that is causing fluid to build up in its abdomen. There are other reasons why fish develop swollen abdomen is, there could well be a serious problem with the swimbladder. I've got to be perfectly honest with you, I don't think we have a miracle solution for you. I think it's just going to be a case of wait and see what happens. If the fish doesn't improve and starts going downhill, I think you're only alternative is humane euthanasia.

There is always the off chance that it is egg bound, However, I think this is highly unlikely.

Sorry that I can't be any more optimistic. I've lost count of the times I've come across this condition, I've even had Oscars developed this is symptom and unfortunately, they have not survived.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 37

delboybully replied the topic: Re:sick oscar

I have had a fish with a swollen stomach twice, one died and the other survived. The one that survived its swelling went overnight so it was just bound up.

I bought 2 baby oscars once and as they grew they started to look wrong. They both had funny mouths and one had 2 little small lumps sticking out. The one with the lumps died at 3 inches the other did fine to about 6 inches when it started attacking my other fish so it went back to the shop. Fish are like any animals and you can get ones with deformaties some of which will be fatal

I can't get no sleep

Well, squirt looks good/better today but like I said his belly is never the way it should be. I guess I'll just keep an eye on him. This just may be something he goes through every now and then. Thanks so much for your help!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 2.551 seconds