Oscar eye problem

• Tami
  • Tami's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Tami created the topic: Oscar eye problem

This weekend I brought home two small oscars, about the size of a quarter. The second day I noticed they each had a solid white bump on their right eyes. One fish's eye seems to be better but now it looks like a clear bump (pop eye??). The other fish still has a solid white bump with a slight bit of white stranding. I had the water tested and everything was perfect except for a low pH which is now coming up.

It is a 90 gallon tank and the oscars are the only fish in the tank. I have a canister filter. The temperature is a steady 79 degrees. The tank has been set up for three years.

I am not sure if I should be treating for pop eye and if so with what or if I should just keep a close eye on the water parameters and see what happens?

I could return the fish to the pet store as I have only had them about 4 days at this point but I would rather keep them and treat them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 417

OFL replied the topic: Re:Oscar eye problem

I have seen something similar with some Oscars I purchased a few years ago. It happened on both of them and only one eye strangely enough. It could possibly have something to the stress, or maybe it could be the fact that they are moved from one tank to another and the water was a little different. If you could take a photo, we can have a look. Popeye disease normally results in a protruding eye. When I saw this on my Oscars, after a few days, this strange lump peeled off and there were no side-effects at all. Hopefully this is the same with yours

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Tami
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Tami replied the topic: Re:Oscar eye problem

It does almost look like something I could take off with my finger so maybe it is similar to what happened to you? I have tried to take pictures but the fish are pretty small so it has been difficult. I will keep trying. Hold off on any treatment for now? I would hate to have their eyes damaged because I did not do anything for them.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 417

OFL replied the topic: Re:Oscar eye problem

it can be a very stressful time for fish when they are moved from pillar to post. Two or three days will be enough time for you to determine whether there is something to worry about or not. When my two little Oscars had this condition, after a few days, it peeled off like a little piece of sunburn that you may get.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Tami
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Tami replied the topic: Re:Oscar eye problem

I am pretty sure I am dealing with pop eye now and I am not sure what the best choice of treatment would be????

• Thank you received: 37

delboybully replied the topic: Re:Oscar eye problem

Pop eye is when the eye swells up and sticks out. It is usually caused by either physical damamge to the eye or from bacteria that get hold from poor water quality. The treatment is the same for both- an anti-bacteria. If its poor water quality you need to get that better too. Can you post your actual results for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate

I have had mixed results with pop-eye, sometimes they die from it

I can't get no sleep

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds