It's all kicked off. Massive Oscar fight. Gutted..

• sjbquattro
  • sjbquattro's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

sjbquattro created the topic: It's all kicked off. Massive Oscar fight. Gutted..

A sad sad day for me. I have heard about the many issues of keeping Oscars, including the fact that one day they may just try and kill each other. Well, today was that day. I am gutted.

My 9 month old Tiger "pair" have always got on VERY well. Best buddies. Always swimming everywhere together. Two different personalities completly and I always hoped and assumed it was a male and female.
Today something just changed radically. "Spot" who has been growing very fast lately and has always been the more agressive and confident in nature, decided to start chasing the Silver Dollars; something they have never done. "Freeda" the smaller fish has also been very quiet lately and not feeding much. She seemed to back off whenever I walked up to the tank which was weird. I think Spot was displaying his dominance.

I went out this eve and I got a frantic text from the Mrs, telling me all hell had broken loose in the tank. Basically "Spot" was ripping the hell out of Freeda. She couldn't escape and he was biting her; tearing her fins and pulling her scales off. I had to cut my night out short and blast home (luckily I was driving and was about 45 mins away).

By the time I got home the 2 oscars were torn apart. Freeda is much worse off and I doubt will last the night. They were sulking in seperate corners but then it kicked off again and spot took another chunk out of freeda. It was really upsetting to see and the missues was in tears.

I had to intervene. Christ knows how I managed it but I caught Spot in two big nets and put him in the spare tank. It's only a 50l and not big enough but no choice right now. The main tank is 700l.

Gutted. Totally gutted. At times like this I just want to give up on the whole thing. So, it's in mother natures hands now. I can't see Freeda lasting the night, but we'll see.

Wish me luck and if you have any advice / hints etc I would appreciate it. I have no idea how I will resolve this if the two fish survive....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Margaret150 replied the topic: Re:It's all kicked off. Massive Oscar fight. Gutted..

I'm so terribly sorry to hear about your fish. My heart is aching for you and your fish. I know how devastated and helpless you must feel right now. Keeping you and your fish in my thoughts and prayers.

ashley1984 replied the topic: Re:It's all kicked off. Massive Oscar fight. Gutted..

oh im so sorry to hear about your oscars, just keep them apart for a bit till they get better then slowly re-introduce them again hope this works!!! ash

270 ltr 4ft (FLUVAL 405)
6 baby blue acaras , 1 male and 1 female geophagus eartheaters...
2 plecs.

• Thank you received: 37

delboybully replied the topic: Re:It's all kicked off. Massive Oscar fight. Gutte

Try adding some medicines. You need to add the stuff that treats open sores etc. I hope the oscar survives

I can't get no sleep

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds