Rot tail treatment for Oscar

• Nata5
  • Nata5's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Nata5 created the topic: Rot tail treatment for Oscar

Hi Everyone,
My O. has rot tail (dorsal fin). He is about 5y/o and lives in 75 gal tank w/ his friend. His friend O. is perfectly healthy now. I change water every 6 days, 50%. One day I noticed he started to sleep leaning to his heater and next day I found his tail got eaten. I am sure it was not done by his friend, they are very tender with each other. I think bacteria overgrowth due to heating...but that is my guess.
What should I treat him with and how dangerous it is for him and his friend?
I got today Melaleuca 1% at Petsmart today, it says it treats rot tail...how helpful and safe it is for Oscar fish?

thanks
pic:
I can't figure out how to add picture to this post, but I uploaded his tail into my profile

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Rot tail treatment for Oscar

We need to see a pic. Use photobucket.com. Create a free account and upload it to there then copy and paste the image code here. If you have a smart phone use the app tapatalk to access the forum and you can upload pics directly from your phone to the forum. I wouldn't put any meds in the tank yet. Do you do water testing with a good liquid kit? I can tell you for sure that 2 oscars in a 75 gallon with only a 50% water change a week is not healthy living for oscars. A 75 gallon tank is only big enough for one Oscar with more water being changed than that. They are living in a sewer by now basically. So it could very well be bacterial tail rot. Need that pic or vid though. To add a vid upload to YouTube and paste the code to the forum.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Rot tail treatment for Oscar

From her profile:

I have no idea what to make of it. Looks to be fin rot + extremely severe stunting + possible facial deformity (or extremely severe HITH that has literally eaten the nostrils away) + LLE. I'm not sure if suggesting the usual (rehome one of the oscars, daily large w/cs + possible antibiotics for the fin rot) would be worthwhile or whether this poor oscar is just too far gone to save.

It's absolutely horrifying at any rate. You will have a very tough choice to make about whether you attempt to save this oscar or euthanise it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Goranothos, UNC-CH

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Rot tail treatment for Oscar

As stated above, we really need to see a picture to know what to do. If you're use to putting videos on YouTube, then that might be easier ... just copy and paste the link into your message here. I'd also urge you not to use the melaleuca just yet. Often, things like this will take care of theselves with clean water. It would help to do a large water change around 75%. I look forward to seeing a picture of your oscar.

What about the overall color, lamm? I've only seen that from a post where no water conditioner was being used.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Rot tail treatment for Oscar

I really don't know, UNC. I've seen some pictures of oscars in horrible condition but never anything quite like that. The whole face looks like it's been eaten away by HITH... For someone to neglect their oscar to this extent it would not surprise me in the least if they didn't use a water conditioner either. I'm scared to see what the other 'healthy' one looks like.

My advice would be that you should make a decision. You'll have to make a drastic change in the way you care for your oscars or their condition will continue to worsen and they will suffer until they die. If you want to make the necessary changes then let us know. There are people here that can tell you what you need to do.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Rot tail treatment for Oscar

My apologies for not welcoming you to the site in my first post... so ... welcome to OFL. You came to the right spot to get your problem sorted out. As stated from seeing the pics, your Oscar has been suffering for a long time. He's in very bad shape. You need to start doing large frequent water changes with a good quality conditioner, if you are on city water and require it. What exactly is your filtration? Do you vac the gravel when doing water changes? How often do you clean the filter/s? What are you feeding them? Can we see a pic of the other Oscar? This Oscar, after living this way for 5 years, may be at the end of his rope so to speak. We know its hard to hear and the info we are giving you can seem quite blunt, but we are just giving you the info you need without beating around the bush. We see this on a daily basis with new members coming here looking for help, sometimes multiple times in a day. So we tend to spew out the same info repetitively and robotically, but we have your fishes best interest in mind. It is going to be time for some changes in your husbandry and setup in order to give these fish the best possible living. You will need to start doing larger and more frequent water changes.... but that is with only one Oscar in that tank. You will need to get another tank of the same size or bigger for one of the fish.. or get one big enough to house both of them, such as a 6 foot 125 gallon. Oscars are huge waste producers and they NEED that much water volume or they just don't survive well. They also need that much room to be comfortable.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Nata5
  • Nata5's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Nata5 replied the topic: Rot tail treatment for Oscar

To clarify: I got this fish deformed 8 months ago. I was told she was about 4 years old. I have another O. fish (for 3 years now), so I added this one to his tank. This gray O.fish always had deformed jaw, and weird looking nose. She had problems eating since I got her. I even had to learn to feed her so she is fed. She is active and eating well.
The water is tested regularly- it is good, within required limits. I don't have problems with water. The temperature is always the same.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Rot tail treatment for Oscar

An Oscar suffering the effects from previous poor care requires a HUGE increase in further care. At 75gals with 2 Oscars you are overstocked by 1 fish. A weekly water change, regardless of volume will not maintain the quality of water necessary for 2 healthy Oscars, and especially inadequate for a weak/ailing one. You should be doing daily water changes to help the sick one, and seriously consider a much larger tank. 6ft 125g would be a big step forward, but would still require an aggressive water change regimen.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds