My oscar is lying down

• FS22999
  • FS22999's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

FS22999 created the topic: My oscar is lying down

Hi i have an oscar and today was great but like 4 hours ago he Is lying down so i really need to know what i have to do I'm really scared cause I don't know if he it's going to die please I need help.. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: My oscar is lying down

Hi there, welcome to the community. Sometimes Oscars will lean to one side and it can be very scary. However, if your Oscar is laying completely on its side then there is probably not quite right. I'm not aware that Oscars do this whilst they are sleeping. Is the Oscars still doing it now? First thing you need to do is test your water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. If your fish, not just Oscars start behaving strangely then it can sometimes be a result of poor water quality. So this is what you need to do as soon as possible and then get back to us with the results.

It may also be an idea if you can, what setup you have, how big is the aquarium, what sort of filtration have you got, what have you been feeding your fish?

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 40

face mcshooty replied the topic: My oscar is lying down

we are going to need some information about your set up before we can help

how big is your tank? do you have any tank mates? how often do you change your water? and how much each time? and do you test your water if so what are you reading a photo of the fish will help a lot to

Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead focus on what to do next

• FS22999
  • FS22999's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

FS22999 replied the topic: My oscar is lying down

Yes my tank is 10 gallons and my oscar is like 30 cm please i dont know What to do? Can you tell me What to do right now because I just arrive and its lying down again completely

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: My oscar is lying down

I am going to hope you made a typo and your tank is 100 gallons. If you seriously claim to have a foot long Oscar in a 10gal tank, then I must request video evidence this is real.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: My oscar is lying down

FS22999 wrote: Yes my tank is 10 gallons and my oscar is like 30 cm please i dont know What to do? Can you tell me What to do right now because I just arrive and its lying down again completely

i have to agree with Suprd71... either typo error or the topic is not real...
or perhaps, you just buy the fish and the tank at the same time not knowing
that oscars need a cycled big tank to live for longer time... if you just did got
the fish and the tank recently, the most sensible thing to do is to bring back
the fish to where you got it!

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

Assuming this is a genuine case & not a silly prank 10 gallons is obviously totally inadequate. You have two options, either go out today and by a completely new aquarium setup, including filtration, or re-hone your fish with somebody you can how is it properly. Other than that, I'm afraid that the situation is untenable and any advice we give you won't be any good if your tank is 10 gallons

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: My oscar is lying down

Also, I heard according to websites like wikipedia that oscars play dead like the sleeper fish of lake malawi to ambush scavenger fishes. is it true?

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

turtle lover wrote: Also, I heard according to websites like wikipedia that oscars play dead like the sleeper fish of lake malawi to ambush scavenger fishes. is it true?

Never heard that one before, so I really don't know.

Thing is, Malawi cichlids have been research a lot, there's even been television programmes about them. The same can be said for South American cichlids, I've seen countless programs where South American cichlids have been featured. However, not once have I ever seen an Oscar featured in a wildlife program. In fact, I've watched a lot of these programs that are made in the Amazon, I've only seen an Oscar twice, one of which was eaten by a large arapaima :-) I really don't think an awful lot of research has been done into these fish in the wild. There is a German guy who travels to the Amazon who has researched cichlids, including Oscars.

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: My oscar is lying down

OFL wrote:

turtle lover wrote: Also, I heard according to websites like wikipedia that oscars play dead like the sleeper fish of lake malawi to ambush scavenger fishes. is it true?

Never heard that one before, so I really don't know.

Thing is, Malawi cichlids have been research a lot, there's even been television programmes about them. The same can be said for South American cichlids, I've seen countless programs where South American cichlids have been featured. However, not once have I ever seen an Oscar featured in a wildlife program. In fact, I've watched a lot of these programs that are made in the Amazon, I've only seen an Oscar twice, one of which was eaten by a large arapaima :-) I really don't think an awful lot of research has been done into these fish in the wild. There is a German guy who travels to the Amazon who has researched cichlids, including Oscars.

I think for oscars the aquarists are the researchers. The information bout the habits come from us. The source is this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_%28fish%29 . Yes wikipedia but they got it from another source.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds