Please help identify these white spots on my friends betta

• dngray
  • dngray's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

dngray created the topic: Please help identify these white spots on my friends betta

My friends betta has some white spots and I was wondering if anyone could identify what it is and a possible treatment

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Please help identify these white spots on my friends betta

Do the white patches look as though they are raised, almost cotton wool like?

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Please help identify these white spots on my friends betta

it looks like Columnaris - cottony growth ...

found this on bettafish.com:

Columnaris
•Symptoms: White spots on mouth, edges of scales and fins, Cottony Growth that eats away at the mouth, Fins rapidly disingrate, starting at the edges
Gray areas around head and gills, As the disease progresses the gray lesions may change in color to yellow/brown/red, Lesions often occur in front of the dorsal causing a “saddleback” appearance, Lethargic, Loss of appetite, Clamped, Gasping for air
•Treatment: There are 2 versions of Columnaris: chronic and acute. Chronic Columnaris can take days to progress while acute can kill within a day. It is contagious so isolate sick fish. If more than one fish shows symptoms then treat the entire tank. Perform daily 100% water change in small tanks or ¾ water change in larger tanks. Make sure to clean the gravel. Treat with Aq.Salt: add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Do NOT raise the temperature as it thrives in temps over 85*F, however, lowering the temperature does not seem to help fight it. Combine salt treatment with Mardel’s Coppersafe, Maracyn I & II, API Erythromycin, OR API Triple Sulfa, combined with Jungle’s Fungus Eliminator (if possible).

please take a look at this page for reference:

www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73332

• dngray
  • dngray's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

dngray replied the topic: Please help identify these white spots on my friends betta

OFL wrote: Do the white patches look as though they are raised, almost cotton wool like?

Yes, kind of like fluffy white bubbles. I think what tehmole posted is accurate so I am going to go with that. Thank you both for the prompt response, and I will forward the information to my friend.

P.S. there is a reason why I always come back to this community, you guys are the best!

Cheers

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: Please help identify these white spots on my friends betta

thats what were here for

Haku, I knew your were good.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds