growth on tiger oscar

• thomas1984
  • thomas1984's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

thomas1984 created the topic: growth on tiger oscar

I have a 5 year old 12 inch+ oscar and about 2 weeks ago a growth started on his backend.

it is now the size of a golf ball and he hasn't ate in nearly 2 weeks, he will grab good like he is hungry
but then spit it out.. any idea what it i s? Pics below...

www.epicsolos.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/IMG_2459-768x1024.jpg

www.epicsolos.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/IMG_2466-768x1024.jpg

www.epicsolos.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/IMG_2468-768x1024.jpg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 40

face mcshooty replied the topic: growth on tiger oscar

can you give some info on your tank how big is it how often do you change water and how much each time does he have any tank mats with him and if you test your water please post the results

Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead focus on what to do next

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: growth on tiger oscar

Difficult to say for sure, but I'm airing on the possibility that this could be a prolapsed rectum. Let me see if I can do a bit more research, in the meantime a couple of the other knowledgeable guys may have other ideas. However, that doesn't look very nice to me. Did it happen quickly, or did you notice it happening over a few days? The fact that the fish is not eating is also not a particularly good sign either I'm sorry to say. Let's see if we can find anything to help, but I'm not going to promise we can help the fish for the better

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• thomas1984
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

thomas1984 replied the topic: growth on tiger oscar

Thanks guys, Really hate to lose this fellow.. But if its fatal, I'm not gonna let him starve to death.

it seemed to have happened over a couple days and some days it looks larger and more "bubbleyer" than others.

the tank is a 56 gallon "tall", he has no tank mates any more and gets a complete water change
and gravel cleaning ever couple weeks.. If we are super pressed for time he has went up to a month
without one.

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: growth on tiger oscar

thomas1984 wrote: Thanks guys, Really hate to lose this fellow.. But if its fatal, I'm not gonna let him starve to death.

it seemed to have happened over a couple days and some days it looks larger and more "bubbleyer" than others.

the tank is a 56 gallon "tall", he has no tank mates any more and gets a complete water change
and gravel cleaning ever couple weeks.. If we are super pressed for time he has went up to a month
without one.

What do you mean complete water change? Do you mean 100% water change?

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: growth on tiger oscar

ouch...too bad... that is already in the advance stage... the same thing happened to my flowerhorn and i lost him...

• thomas1984
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

turtle lover wrote:

thomas1984 wrote: Thanks guys, Really hate to lose this fellow.. But if its fatal, I'm not gonna let him starve to death.

without one.

What do you mean complete water change? Do you mean 100% water change?

Pretty much yes, we will leave about 5 inches or so for him to kinda float in sideways until we add fresh water to the tank.

• thomas1984
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

DRACO wrote: ouch...too bad... that is already in the advance stage... the same thing happened to my flowerhorn and i lost him...

What does this appear to be? you said you have dealt with it before.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: growth on tiger oscar

Looks like his intestines are coming out, as a result of a blockage or prolapsed anus. It's a long shot but you could try an epsom salt treatment. Use 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gallons for 1 week. Get pure epsom salt (magnesium sulfate), and make sure there are no other ingredients. Dissolve in tank water first before pouring in.

• Thank you received: 40

face mcshooty replied the topic: growth on tiger oscar

i would also start doing 25% water changes every couple days until the epsom salt treatment is done then up it to 50% make sure to replacing whatever epsom salt you remove

Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead focus on what to do next

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds