Huge digestive problem, weird swelling on the lip, female Oscar

• Yoveeta
  • Yoveeta's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Yoveeta created the topic: Huge digestive problem, weird swelling on the lip, female Oscar

Guys I have a few problems with female copper/black Oscar, length 5 inches.

Came to us with already visible bloated belly, 6 weeks ago. Feed her good pellets (Tetra cichlids XL sticks) 2 x day and defrosted salmon meat once a day.

She got shrimp recently (helped herself to live ones in the tank) and she ate too much. Right now she looks really uncomfortable & about to burst, swimming head down. Will wait till she does nr 2, what then? Keep her hungry for a day or so? Read peas are good- silly question probably - but what peas? Green, cooked or raw? Need to make sure she goes on 'easy on the bum' diet from now on.

Another problem is a visible lump/ spot (developed it 2 days after coming to us), just on the inside of lower lip- lump is inside the mouth, whitish and sticks out onto the outside. It almost looks like a whitish lip triangular 'piercing', just behind the lip, here is the photo: tinypic.com/r/120o5g0/8
Any idea what that is? First it got bigger then we treated her with malachite green (other fish had fungus and died), then got smaller- the photo is showing the current size now. Did some browsing, not a clue.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Yoveeta

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 40

face mcshooty replied the topic: Huge digestive problem, weird swelling on the lip, female Oscar

try to feed her a couple peas (i use defrosted green peas) and don't feed her anything else for a couple days and see if that helps the bloating if not slightly more extreme measures might be necessary

Another problem is a visible lump/ spot (developed it 2 days after coming to us), just on the inside of lower lip- lump is inside the mouth, whitish and sticks out onto the outside. It almost looks like a whitish lip triangular 'piercing', just behind the lip, here is the photo: tinypic.com/r/120o5g0/8
Any idea what that is? First it got bigger then we treated her with malachite green (other fish had fungus and died), then got smaller- the photo is showing the current size now. Did some browsing, not a clue.

its a chin pimple oscars get them all the time its nothing to worry about

Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead focus on what to do next
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yoveeta

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Huge digestive problem, weird swelling on the lip, female Oscar

Hello and welcome to OFL. You have been overfeeding the fish in general to begin with. At that size and probable age once a day is plenty, and skipping a day per week would also be fine. I would also seek a better grade of food. Quality pellets like Northfin, NLS, Omega1, Hikari. Get a veg based pellet as a regular offering as well. Fruit pieces, raw veg bits if he will take them. For now, no food until you see some waste production. He can easily go 2 weeks no feed without risk. The Mal Green is a fungal med, toxic to fish, fine line between safe and harmful dose. No more of that. What size tank, what filtration, what tankmates and what have you been doing for regular water changes? Do you test the water parameters, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Yoveeta
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Yoveeta replied the topic: Huge digestive problem, weird swelling on the lip, female Oscar

Hi,
got 50 gallon Juvel tank, external flow thru filtration system. Water parameters checked every other day, all within range (ph, ammonia, NO2) apart from Nitrates (NO3), now at 50/60 units. Do every other day 20% RO water change to keep it down. Nitrate filter takes 8 weeks to work, that starts about now.

Got an Oscar, black ghost (knife), senegalese bihir, elephant nose, 2 acaras, 3 mollies and 5 cuhli loaches. All play nice with each other, all juveniles, are with each other from the start. Want to introduce another 2 black ghosts as she/ he (?) is lonely.

Oscar today must have pooped a little, got moving, looks reasonably happy now :)

Thank you guys for your support, appreciate it.

Suprd71 replied the topic: Huge digestive problem, weird swelling on the lip, female Oscar

Hello again. You have a serious problem, that being your tank is beyond overstocked. 50g is not enough for the Oscar by itself, never mind the rest. You have 2 options really. 1 is to find a better home for the fish, 2 is to get a tank of at least 4x the size of your current one. Good that the Oscar has pooped a bit, but with that stock, you will never be able to maintain water quality and no amount of filtration will make it so. Your notion to add 2 more BGK's is another big step in the wrong direction. Not meaning to come off critical or overly negative, but you cant keep several fish with foot long potential in what actually amounts to a cereal bowl. Your high nitrate count is evidence this will not work.

• Yoveeta
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Yoveeta replied the topic: Huge digestive problem, weird swelling on the lip, female Oscar

Hello,
this tank is our first tank and this is only the next 10 month solution. We are fully aware what is going to be the max size of the knife fish, bihir or Oscar, did reading on it beforehand.
Next one is going to be 700 ltr- so almost 4 x the current size, with sump and all the trimings, no worries :) .
The longest fish I have is the knife one, only 7 inches long at present. All the rest are smaller still.
cheers,
Yoveeta

Well, good intentions aside, if you leave your current setup as is for another 10 months, you are going to have a stunted, and very ill Oscar. It will contract stress and/or water quality related health problems such as hole in the head and lateral line erosion. You are of course free to do as you wish, but you are headed for all kinds of problems. If an Oscar does not get pristine water and the space it needs, it does not do well, or at very least lives a shortened life. The 3 keys to successful Oscar keeping are clean water, tankspace and quality diet. Currently you have none of these 3. I wish you all the best.

The following user(s) said Thank You: SlippinCichlid

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Huge digestive problem, weird swelling on the lip, female Oscar

Dave is right. That is not a sustainable situation for 10 months. This would be ok for a week or so if needed in an emergency situation. Your going to have problems soon. And other problems that won't be evident until the fish start having problems later in their life span from being housed too long this way, even after given proper housing. We're only trying to help.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds