oscars dying fast

• doctah-f
  • doctah-f's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

doctah-f created the topic: oscars dying fast

Hi guys.
I am very new to this forum as a subscribed user, and this is my first ever post to a fish forum.
I have been into this hobby as a 8-9 yo child when i started off with a 20 gallon or so, with a sponge filter and few mollies, platties and gold fishes, and i always wondered why couldn't they survive despite of "washing everything meticulously with soap" every week" Lol.
20 years later, i have a 60 gallon with a built in + a cannister filter, with tons of bio media, and fair bit of knowledge about fish keeping, and money to go about it, YET, i lost two oscars which i had for 3 months.
I am currently located in oman, where the pet supplies are scarce and major online pet stores don't deliver to my doorstep either, so i got this tank running on hit and trial basis, as well as a lot of wild guessing and some common sense.
Things were fine till a week ago when one red oscar started acted strangely, lying at the bottom, not feeding and then, boom, she passed away. 2 days later, another red oscar gone after passing through same series of events.
Then the remaining 3, stopped feeding and just sitting on bottom, sulking , occasionally gasping ..
I noticed the water was too warm as its summer here, and temp can soar as high as 50 degrees. I dont have a thermometer currently, but i checked my water temperature using a regular digital thermo normally used to check human body temp and it read as whooping 35 degrees..:0
I started lowering down the water temp with ice, and in 36 hrs, i have it saying low, which means anything less than 32 and water feels right too.
Now, my fish still won't feed but started to move around.
Do you guys think they stand a chance against all odds?
They are 3" juveniles and i have plans to buy them separate tanks as they grow.
I have a blue acara, a rainbow shark and pleco too and they are doing just fine while all this was happening.
No,i dont have the test kits either, so extremely sorry for not helping you out with test results, but still looking forward to be helped.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: oscars dying fast

welcome to the community.

just want to check... are still practicing the general cleaning of your filter with soap. etc..etc?

btw, 60 gal is good for 1 oscar only for long range fishkeeping, not 2 or more...
having no test kit is not too much an issue but will help in monitoring the water parameters.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: oscars dying fast

When in doubt do a large water change like 50%. Be sure to treat the water with water conditioner that removes chlorine and neutralizes ammonia. Oscars are found in waters up to 93F (~34C) and will gasp for air if there is lack of oxygen in the tank. So my guess is that temperature played a big part in their deaths. Another thing that could happen is that the ammonia levels became more toxic as temperature rose, and fish excrete ammonia at a faster rate. When you combine those two facts, the oscar which died could have died from ammonia poisoning. Without a liquid test, it's hard to tell how high the ammonia levels reached.

does your water conditioner neutralize ammonia?

• doctah-f
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

doctah-f replied the topic: oscars dying fast

@draco, no dude, i keep all the soap in my home at a mile's distance from my tank :)
I did large water changes for couple of days, reduced temperature, stopped feeding them as they aren't feeding anyway.
I condition my water prior to filling it in, with dr medi's dechlorinator but i am not sure if it neautralizes ammonia and chloramine or not..
It doesn't mention it does so, so my guess is, it doesn't do so.
Fixed an air conditioner in my tank area so now, heat isn't an issue.
Will they survive? They are bit active but still not feeding and its been a week now.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: oscars dying fast

Welcome to our community. Yes, 35°C is far too warm, I can't say I've ever had my water that hot so I couldn't say for sure how the fish would behave, but I don't think they would like it. You are in a bit of a dilemma if you can't get hold of the important things you need in order to run an aquarium properly. To be honest with you, trying to run an aquarium without being able to test the water is always going to be difficult because when things go wrong as they have now there is no way of finding out why it's happened. Okay, there are some experienced fish keepers on this forum, however we are still completely in the dark if you are not able to provide us with details about your water condition.

How warm is it in your house? Surely it's not 35°C? I'm surprised the water gets that hot.

I've never heard of the product you are using to condition your water. If it's just the water conditioner alone then it probably won't detoxify ammonia or nitrite, it will just remove chlorine. What you really need is a product called Prime, this is very popular and a lot of us use it.

Will they survive? Very difficult to say unfortunately, the best thing to do is carry out regular water changes, don't wash your filter media unless you need to, and when you do always do it in existing tank water. You got to treat biological media very carefully, whenever I clean it I do it as quickly as possible and get it back into a working filter within half an hour. Obviously the bacteria in your filtration system is what keeps the whole thing running so it's important it's always looked after properly

Keep us posted on what is going on

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: oscars dying fast

Keep doing water changes everyday. If you can do a big one like 75%, then do it. If there is something bad in the water (like ammonia build up), a water change will help to remove it.

Billz replied the topic: Re:oscars dying fast

Hi .. So me too I'm in the same situation .. My tank is running for a month now with 3 oscars and 1 pbass .. My ph is just right but the other 3 is up high.. I still do weekly water changes and feed every other day .. They seem to be growing and eating . But I don't know what should I do with my water !!! And whenever I turn on my tank lights they seem scared of it .?? Anyone have info ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• doctah-f
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Hi guys, thanks for your inputs
As of now, i seem to have saved my remaining three oscars. They are turning back to their old selves , just that their appetite is a bit low, making sort of nauseating gesture at feeding times . but they are swimming just fine and defending themselves against any threat.
Just feeding them little amount of dried shrimps daily and changing 30-40% of water every three
days..

• doctah-f
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

@ billz
Mine stopped enjoying the lights after getting sick but since they got back in good shape, they are swimming around when the lights are turned on.
I guess its some kind of stress they respond to by hiding when the lights are on?

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: oscars dying fast

OFL wrote: Welcome to our community. Yes, 35°C is far too warm, I can't say I've ever had my water that hot so I couldn't say for sure how the fish would behave, but I don't think they would like it. You are in a bit of a dilemma if you can't get hold of the important things you need in order to run an aquarium properly. To be honest with you, trying to run an aquarium without being able to test the water is always going to be difficult because when things go wrong as they have now there is no way of finding out why it's happened. Okay, there are some experienced fish keepers on this forum, however we are still completely in the dark if you are not able to provide us with details about your water condition.

How warm is it in your house? Surely it's not 35°C? I'm surprised the water gets that hot.

I've never heard of the product you are using to condition your water. If it's just the water conditioner alone then it probably won't detoxify ammonia or nitrite, it will just remove chlorine. What you really need is a product called Prime, this is very popular and a lot of us use it.

Will they survive? Very difficult to say unfortunately, the best thing to do is carry out regular water changes, don't wash your filter media unless you need to, and when you do always do it in existing tank water. You got to treat biological media very carefully, whenever I clean it I do it as quickly as possible and get it back into a working filter within half an hour. Obviously the bacteria in your filtration system is what keeps the whole thing running so it's important it's always looked after properly

Keep us posted on what is going on

I think the reason water there gets that high is because oman is part of a desert.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds