need help

• frankx1995
  • frankx1995's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

frankx1995 created the topic: need help

I need help, my aquarium is a 75 gallon with one albino oscar a pictus catfish and two 5 1/2 inch gouramis they all seem fine swimming about and eating but that's not the problem, my problem is that before I added them the tank was running for a month and it cycled cause I used tetra safe start and followed instructions. I had my ammonia and nitrite spike. My ammonia was at 5ppm the second week and at the third week my ammonia dropped and my nitrite spiked to 5ppm as well then in couple of days it went to zero ppm But my ammonia remained at 1ppm so I added first two gourami and it still remained at 1ppm and 0 nitrite and 5ppm nitrate. Then I added the oscar and a day later the pictus fish but the water still remained the same at 1ppm ammonia 0 nitrite and 5ppm nitrate why's that help?? It's been a month and a half and the ammonia is still the same but the fishes seem unaffected because they still play swim move their fins and eat regularly? So what can be the cause for my ammonia I mean i rechecked again today and the water still read 1ppm ammonia 0 nitrite 5ppm nitrate... help????

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: need help

welcome on board.

may w know what kind of test kit are you using.
zero nitrite and low nitrate means your filter is working perfectly.
did you test your tap water against ammonia?

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: need help

Your ph has to be higher than 6.5. Check your PH. If it is close to 6.5, do a water change to bring it back up, like 75%. This will protect your fish from ammonia poisoning. Since you have the fish, you have to change at least 50% of the water whenever ammonia or nitrite hit 0.5ppm. Ammonia and nitrites should not be higher than 0.25ppm after testing. You have to test ammonia and nitrites everyday until the tank is full cycled. If you are not using a liquid test, then the readings are not accurate. Ammonia and nitrites should go to 0ppm in less than 24 hours.

• frankx1995
  • frankx1995's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

frankx1995 replied the topic: need help

I'm using api master test kit the liquid form and my ammonia is in Between 0.5-1ppm but my nitrite is still remaining at zero my nitrates are at 5ppm still and i did a 10 percent water change as well and haven't fed them only once a day but enough for them to consume in under a minute so Idk what the problem is they healthy playing and swimming about..

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: need help

your tank is not cycled. It takes time for the ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria to fully populate your filters. Putting bacteria in a bottle does NOT cycle the aquarium all the time. You need to start doing a larger water change to bring the ammonia to less than 0.25ppm. Some tap water contain nitrates out of the faucet.

Test your tap water.

Kameron629 replied the topic: need help

Hi I have a 50 gallon tank for 2 oscars and 2 African feathered catfish my water was cloudy and ammonia was at a 2.0 so I added ammo lock and took out the carbon and the next day my water was extremely cloudy and ammonia is at a 8.0 what should I do please help this is the first time this has happened and I've had my tank for 2 months please help

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds