Bleeding hole in the head !!! Help help

• Vdubin00
  • Vdubin00's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Vdubin00 created the topic: Bleeding hole in the head !!! Help help

I've had my oscar for over a year now, he's over 8" and has been kept in a 120 gallon tank with couple Bala sharks and plecos,, I've got a fluval 306 canister filter for 70g, fluval HOB 70g, marineland hot magnum HOB canister rated for 50g. And an marineland emperior dual bio wheel rated for 90g, I've notice HITH start to develop about 6 months ago, I started to be diligent on my water changes, however I would only ADD water due to evaporation, never donned on me that I have to vaccuum the gravel, until about a month or two ago since then I've been supper diligent vacuuming adding water, I know my nitrates are high, however the oscar is the only fish showing side effects,, other fish are fine,, I've hospitalized the oscar in a 55 gal with the fluval 70 HOB and marineland 50g for the last week dosing with melafix , and the first three days seemed like I was making progress and the day seven (today) did the instructed water change and treated and added medicine back in along with some stress zyme and aquarium salt,, hours later my fish is bleeding from his head !!! I'm freaking out what the HELL am I doing wrong?? How can I fix this what do I got to do ??? Please help me someone ???
Here's a link to my Facebook page (i dunno if it'll work, I'm new to writing in bbcode or whatever lol)

m.facebook.com/1604516946455175/photos/pcb.1607508299489373/1607508229489380/?type=1&source=48

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dutchkeeper replied the topic: Bleeding hole in the head !!! Help help

Sorry i can't help you with that, i haven't seen it before.

• Thank you received: 40

face mcshooty replied the topic: Bleeding hole in the head !!! Help help

you say your nitrates are high does that mean you test your water if you do can you tell us what you're readings are exactly (ammonia nitrite nitrate and ph) and what you test with ( test kit name) also are the filters on the hospital tank cycled

Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead focus on what to do next

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Bleeding hole in the head !!! Help help

Yikes! That Oscar is in rough condition. Melafix is useless for this. And going a full 7 days in a possibly uncycled 55 with no w/c hasnt helped. The fish can recover to a great degree, but will take many months. Really need to know water parameters of the 55. I dont want to recommend a huge water change, in case water is very high in nitrate, the fish may experience osmotic shock with too much clean water all at once. An epsom salt treatment would be a good beginning, but again, need to know current water condition.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Bleeding hole in the head !!! Help help

i agree with Suprd71 here... uncycled hospital tank may do more harm than good... the fish is already in bad shape... fins are rotting already which is another kind of fish disease due to poor water condition... i strongly suggest big water change without cleaning the filter yet until water parameters are known...

fbcdn-photos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xta1/v/t1.0-0/s600x...55C0223C&__gda__=1441732937_c2f5ef355e8d07ceba4ec784825ac049

• Vdubin00
  • Vdubin00's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Vdubin00 replied the topic: Bleeding hole in the head !!! Help help

The hospital tank is cycled,, and has two filters that had been running on my 120g here results for 120g tank ph7.2-7.4 ammonia-0ppm , nitrite -0ppm, nitrate- 10ppm,, results from hospital tank : ph- 7.4, ammonia-0ppm, nitrite- 0ppm, nitrate- 5 ppm,, I'm using the API freshwater master test kit,, I don't have a phosphate test kit,, I've heard you can have problems with that in freshwater sometimes,,however had it checked Saturday morning at petco and was detected however was in the tolerable range,, my 120 was not this low when I took the oscar out it was so high it seriously the darkest shade of red !! So I don't know what the hell is going on I feed the oscar freeze dried red shrimp the zoo med brand,, I'm almost think these could be causing it maybe he's allergic to them or they have some additive to them I dunno What do you guys this I've been doing for about 4 years I have experience,, I've had my one 120 for 2 years the two before I had 4 tanks a 30 a 20 a 10 and a 5 all successfully stocked

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Bleeding hole in the head !!! Help help

The oscar became stressed out due to osmotic shock because it was moved from really dirty water with lots of dissolved solids to really clean water. When this happens too quickly, the fish loses the minerals in its body too fast, leading to a stressful situation. This then allow the bacterial infection to hit affect the oscar.

Bacterial infection from HITH can happen. This should be treated first before you can treat the HITH. First off, you need to add salt to the tank at a rate of 5 tablespoon per gallon. The salt will slow down the mineral loss that will happen in open wounds. Get some pickling salt or salt with no iodine. For your PH, you need to treat with Maracyn 1 and Maracyn 2 at the same time. If that is not easily available, you need to get Erythromycin and Seachem Kanaplex, and treat at the same time. I would also get Kordon methylene blue, and put him in a bath for 30 minutes, dosing of methylene blue will be 1ml per gallon. Make sure that you use water from the aquarium in the bath. If not, you will have to treat the water with a water conditioner and let it sit for 1 hour before adding methylene blue.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds