Oscar breathing heavily

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Oscar breathing heavily

My red Oscar Poseidon is also very picky and if left to his own devices would only eat krill or chunks of raw tilapia. I had to starve him for 6 days once to get him to eat his pellets and veggies. Oscars can go for 3 or 4 weeks with no food at all so starving them for a week will not harm them at all. It will actually be good to starve your Os right now as it will help keep your nitrates under control.

Sometimes starvation is the only way to get them to eat healthier foods. Sounds like your fish are being over fed and, as Suprd71 says you need to increase their variety and get them some veg in their diet. Oscars are omnivores not carnivores. Pellets like Omega One medium cichlid pellets are easy to get and packed with veg and protein. You might also try them on raw peas to see if they like them. Omega One veg rounds are also good. Basically increase the variety of of food, with more veg and add some starvation days. You have to have a stronger will than they do. They are like small children who only want to eat candy; you have to show them a better way. :^)
The following user(s) said Thank You: lnl311

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscar breathing heavily

Yes, I mean 2 AC 110's. I have many of these, they perform wonderfully. Great mechanical filter, and if your sump is properly set up, you are covered bio-wise as well. Run the AC's with the sponge they come with on bottom, then the media bag of ceramics. Buy a box of ceramics, Fluval Biomax and Seachem Matrix are high quality and very popular. You can fit more in the filter than it comes with. Do not use the carbon bag.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: lnl311

• lnl311
  • lnl311's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

lnl311 replied the topic: Oscar breathing heavily

Okay, good. I bought two of them off amazon and they will be here tuesday. I did check my sump filter last night when I got off work and the floss/filter pad was completely saturated so I think it wasn't filtering enough water which is likely spiking my nitrates. I rinsed it out in siphoned aquarium water and replaced it so hopefully that will help some. My nitrates were between 40-80ppm last night so they are coming down slowly but surely. And my sick oscar, Bonnie, was playing in her bubbles like she used to so it looks like she is perking up. Thanks for all of your help.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Oscar breathing heavily

Remove the crushed coral. Soft water fish do not like it. It will raise the pH not balance it. What does balance it mean? What is your pH before crushed coral? At the age the oscars are, and the small size, the result of their poor living conditions may be catching up with them with an end result that will not be good. Good luck, hope all the advice helps your fish.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

avikool replied the topic: Oscar breathing heavily

Hello,

Did you really have to euthanize the jack dempsey?
One of my Oscars was pretty badly beaten once, lots of scales ripped off, both fins ragged.

I transferred it in a tank by itself, within 1 week it was much better. I only used some antibiotics on the first day, with water changes every other day...He is back to normal now.

• lnl311
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I don't remember the pH before exactly. That was back when I was taking my water to the store to have it tested. They told me to add the crushed coral to help and since I've started testing at home it's been 6.6-6.8....which I believe is perfect for them. However, I've been reading that the crushed coral can also cause high nitrates so im going to remove it.

These fish were not mine initially. I was renting a house and the landlord had a tank and didn't want to move it. So I offered to take care of them. Neither one of us had ever had fish before. He has the two oscars, two jacks, one angel, one pleco, two fire bellies and an electric yellow all in a 55gal tank. Needless to say I had numerous problems trying to keep them healthy but there wasn't a lot I could do because it wasn't my house or my fish. Almost two years ago when I bought my house now I negtiated with my landlord to let me keep the fish (Only the two oscars and jacks survived) and he agreed. So I bought the biggest tank I could find/afford which was a 120 gal. They've been there since that time. So yes the first few years of their life they had stunted growth and terrible living conditions that I tried very hard to keep balanced so they could live. They have been very happy and healthy in this tank up until now.

The jack I had to euthanize was very aggressive and was the smallest out of all the fish. A few years ago he got in a fight with the bigger Jack and broke his jaw (it was bent funny and he couldn't open or close it). People recommended I euthanize him then but I kept him and treated his wounds and crushed his food so he could eat. About a year after that he got in a fight with one of the oscars and got slammed headfirst into the side of the tank and broke his skull. Once again I treated him. He was a very broken and odd shaped fish but he swam and ate and overall looked happy. Then a few months ago when I got home from work it was apparent that he had gotten into another fight and was badly beaten. So much so that his eye was partially detached from his body and you could see through his head into his mouth. I didn't think he would recover so I thought it was kindest to euthanize him. I read and researched and used the clove oil method which was fairly peaceful...although I did cry a lot.

So, it was never my intention to own fish but I fell in love with them and they are part of our family now. So much so that I'm constantly checking on them now even when I'm working to make sure they are okay. I'm trying my best to get their tank back in order. Part of my failing was in trusting people's advice along the way. I'm learning as I go along and trying my hardest to keep them healthy.

• lnl311
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

So my nitrates are still around 40ppm. I did another 50% water change, removed the crushed coral and the nitrazorb (it's currently recharging) and waiting to retest the chemistry. While waiting I noticed that although Bonnie's fins aren't as ragged there are a couple of red spots/streaks and it looks like she is developing Popeye on the left. My other fish are still well although they are a little upset they aren't being fed as often as usual. I've successfully treated Popeye with tetracycline in a quarantine tank in my other Oscar years ago so I was going to do the same for her but is tetracycline enough? Here are some pics. I'm going to buy a smaller tank after work tonight.

I'm not the best photographer.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Oscar breathing heavily

If the ph is 6.6, do not alter the PH. It is fine from where it is at. What is the PH of your tap water?

In using medication, never stop the anti-biotic treatment as that will cause pathogenic bacteria to develop immunity. You need to use the antibiotic for the maximum amount of treatments.

The red streaks are hemorrhagic septicemia

• lnl311
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

So I bought a 10gal tank (biggest I could find after work) and transferred Bonnie into it. I started tetracycline (I happened to have it at home) and I'm going to go to the store tomorrow and pick up TMP sulfa as well. This should treat the bacterial infection. I wish I had started antibiotics sooner.

I checked the parameters on my main tank when I got home (about 9 hours after 50% water change) and the pH was 7.4 (up from 6.6 but due to the large amount of water changed), ammonia and nitrites 0 and nitrates still somewhere between 40-80ppm. Was it too early to test? I'm at a loss on the nitrates. I have been doing almost daily water changes for over a week and it's barely budged. I withheld food, removed the coral, cleaned all ornamentals, partially cleaned my sump filter and have used nitrazorb. My tap water tested negative for nitrates. how long does it take to come down? I'm also putting the two filters that I ordered in the tank tonight. The good news is that the rest of my fish are fine.

I was able to get a better close up of her in the new tank. You can see the red spots on her gills and fin

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Oscar breathing heavily

There could still be a lot of waste caught up in the substrate. You should remove most or all of it. You will be amazed at how much crap can collect in there.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds