Oscar breathing heavily

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscar breathing heavily

You may still have a problem or 2. 10g tank may stress the Oscar due to lack of space. You would be better off with a larger container. It doesnt have to be a glass aquarium, you could use something like a large Rubbermaid tote in the 30gal range. Do you have a filter on the 10? Seeded bio media in it? Your big tank may be struggling with nitrate levels from the overstock situation. It may be producing 5ppm or more per day. If you have a 40 reading, and do a 50% change, you should be at 20 right after. But, if you are gaining as much as 10ppm per day, you are back at 40 2 days later. With no nitrate in your tap, you need larger volume water changes to really put a dent in the nitrate level. Try 75% or more.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: lnl311

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Oscar breathing heavily

lnl311 wrote: So I bought a 10gal tank (biggest I could find after work) and transferred Bonnie into it. I started tetracycline (I happened to have it at home) and I'm going to go to the store tomorrow and pick up TMP sulfa as well. This should treat the bacterial infection. I wish I had started antibiotics sooner.

I checked the parameters on my main tank when I got home (about 9 hours after 50% water change) and the pH was 7.4 (up from 6.6 but due to the large amount of water changed), ammonia and nitrites 0 and nitrates still somewhere between 40-80ppm. Was it too early to test? I'm at a loss on the nitrates. I have been doing almost daily water changes for over a week and it's barely budged. I withheld food, removed the coral, cleaned all ornamentals, partially cleaned my sump filter and have used nitrazorb. My tap water tested negative for nitrates. how long does it take to come down? I'm also putting the two filters that I ordered in the tank tonight. The good news is that the rest of my fish are fine.

I was able to get a better close up of her in the new tank. You can see the red spots on her gills and fin

You need to increase the amount of water changes and increase the frequency so that the PH is maintained at 7.4 and nitrates are below 20ppm. It is not unusual for tanks that have not had enough water changes to take quite a bit of time to get nitrates to below 20ppm.

With regards to the bacterial infection, for a ph of 7.4, Erythromycin is more effective than any of the Tetracycline in treating gram positive bacterial infections. Sulfa does ok in 7.4, but the better medication to use is Kanamycin which is found in Seachem Kanaplex, for treating gram negative bacterial infections.

• lnl311
  • lnl311's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

lnl311 replied the topic: Oscar breathing heavily

Hi guys, thanks for your replies.
I only had the 10gal aquarium last night and she was looking bad and I knew she needed to be moved. I do have a filter on the tank but it isn't seeded. I am using nite-out. Overnight she starting looking a little better. She's definitely not breathing as heavily. I just got erythromycin and kenamycin and gave her the first dose. I plan on treating her for 10 days. She hasn't eaten in about 3 weeks. I don't think she's up to eating yet but should I try to feed her something in the next few days? I didn't put a heater on this tank...should I leave the lights on it to hear it up or should she be fine. I don't think it would drop too much...maybe 74ish. She's used to about 82F.

Also, I am considering rehoming the pleco. I just need to find someone to take him.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Oscar breathing heavily

Pay attention to the instructions on the kanamycin. Do not exceed the maximum treatments for it.

Put a heater in the tank and don't let the temperature drop below 73F.

All you need is ambient room light. You don't need a light above the tank.

Try to feed her everyday, and remove what is not eaten 30 minutes later.

I would add salt, about 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons to help the healing the process. Melt the salt in tank water before adding. Regular pickling salt will do.

You will need to test ammonia and nitrites everyday. and do enough of a water change to keep both below .25 ppm.

You most def need seeded bio media in that filter. You have nothing to process the ammonia the fish produces, and levels will rise very fast in 10gals of water. Take some media from another filter? Only other option is 2 or 3x daily water changes of practically all the volume, but that will negate any positive effects of the meds. What is nite-out? Bacteria in a bottle? Wont help.

• lnl311
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Yes, nite-out is bacteria in a bottle and is supposed to be highly concentrated and great at removing ammonia and nitrites. I did go ahead and take some filter material from my main tank into the hospital tank filter just in case. The kenamycin is a 7 day treatment and the erythromycin is a 4 dose treatment that can be repeated and is about 10 days long. I'm going to keep an eye on the tank temperature. Oh, I forgot to say that I did put salt in the tank yesterday.
Thanks

Seeded filter media will help immensely. You may as well use the nite-out as well, it wont hurt anything. For now, and future reference, when Rocksor advises on treatments, do exactly as he says. He is our resident fish doc and will never steer you wrong. He's Rock the Doc!

• lnl311
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Bonnie passed away while I was working today. Thanks for all of your help.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds