Oscar laying on his side

• davidjjdj
  • davidjjdj's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

davidjjdj created the topic: Oscar laying on his side

About two weeks ago I noticed my Oscar was sitting towards the bottom of his tank moving hardly at all. He mostly kept to himself and I thought he was sulking. Recently around 2 days ago he started laying on his side, I did a 45% water change as it was scheduled for him, nothing has changed, he is laying on his side breathing heavily. He is able to move around as I have brought a net near him and he gets up and runs as normal.

I change his water about once a month, I'm scared I may have shocked him, I am usually very careful when adding new water and monitor the temperature. I am not sure what is wrong with him.

Size: 60 gallon hexagonal (I got it for free, upgraded from 50 gallon rectangular)
Temperature: around 82 F
pH is reporting abnormally high, off the charts on the high range topped at 8.8, straight out of the tap it is around 7.6, I have no clue what could be causing this and am open to any suggestions.
Ammonia: ~ .25 - .50
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10-20

He is breathing heavily as stated before, I will take pictures and upload them in an update, please reply if anymore information is needed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 97

ernie replied the topic: Oscar laying on his side

Hi and welcome, what are you using to test your water parameters? Could you also describe your filtration. Do you have tank mates, if so what? Are you using a water conditioner like Prime? Water changes should be performed on a weekly basis if not twice weekly. Water conditions may be a big part of your problem. Photos could possibly help if you could upload them. Members are always happy to help.

• davidjjdj
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

davidjjdj replied the topic: Oscar laying on his side

I use the API Test Master Kit, not sure what is causing the pH but I feel as if it cannot be that high. I use prime and I used to pour the required amount after filling, now I put it in each bucket. Pictures to follow, I just now noticed that near his anus there seems to be A LOT of swelling. For my filtration I just use a 75 gallon Aqueon filter, it has the two large carbon pouches that sit inside. He does not have any tank mates, he is alone in his tank, I heard a suggestion to try and feed him a pea and when I attempted he did not want to eat anything. I am very afraid he's in pain especially since seeing the swelling.

I didn't realize I have been slacking so severely on water changes and will start doing weekly.

drive.google.com/file/d/0B4vr9P6j950uODhNbW5lR2ZKdkJZekFWVkxZelp3UVczR0tJ/view?usp=sharing
drive.google.com/file/d/0B4vr9P6j950uOXlfT2V5c0ZYTTNuRFNtYVJZSFV5c01tSGhJ/view?usp=sharing
drive.google.com/file/d/0B4vr9P6j950uVElISTgydHBNeDROcWFiM1RHckdpQzZSMWFR/view?usp=sharing
drive.google.com/file/d/0B4vr9P6j950uMEcwVWtKRjI3dWQ2b3VZQXE1Y3BWcTA1bHZz/view?usp=sharing

Tell me if more pictures are needed and I will do my best to supply them, I work tomorrow from 6 to 2 central, after that I will be on to check this again.

• Thank you received: 40

face mcshooty replied the topic: Oscar laying on his side

Poor little guy is in pretty rough shape hopefully he can pull through but I think the first thing he is going to need to do that is clean waters and lots of it I would do daley 20% water changes for the next week just to get him used to clean water at the same time I would ad 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gallons of epsom salt that might help with the swollen abdomen just make sure to use epsom salt with no additives you also going to need more filtration like a canister filter or something like that because a single hang on back just isn't enough filtration and thats why you have ammonia

I also have a couple questions if you don't mind When you test your nitrats do you shack bottle 2 vigorously for at lest 2 minutes because if you don't the test won't be accurate and how old is your test kit also what do you feed him

Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead focus on what to do next

• Thank you received: 97

ernie replied the topic: Re:Oscar laying on his side

Certainly some swelling there, hard to tell if it is from a growth or blockage. Peas can help for blockages so maybe persevere with them . Your ammonia reading indicates you may have lost your cycle, when you set-up the new tank did you use your existing filter? Carbon in your filters is really not required normally used to remove meds. Might suggest once your O starts to recover to replace with more media. Best thing you can do at the moment is keep water parameters pristine and aim to keep nitrate below 20ppm. Hope you see some improvement soon.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:Oscar laying on his side

Hello and welcome to OFL. Unfortunate you have joined on such a sour note. Your fish is exhibiting signs of long term improper care. Tank is small, filtration very inadequate and the fish has not been living in clean enough water. Laying immobile on its side is equal to being on death's door. I would be surprised if this fish sees another day. I hope I'm wrong, but dont think so. Sorry for a bleak report. Perhaps if you would like to try again some day, we would be glad to assist in any way possible. Maybe the tiniest positive here is you learned something.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Oscar laying on his side

welcome on board...

60 gal tank is good enough for an oscar, however, it needs good filtration and proper feeding regiment to keep the fish healthy ,...

3.5 years old oscar... is already a good learning time... but changing water once a month can compromise the health of your fish...

staying at the bottom and lying on its side means that the tank water condition is now taking its toll... staying at the bottom means trying to conserve the strength while heavy breathing means bad water condition...

i strongly suggest you do water change regularly for the couple of weeks to improve his environment!

• davidjjdj
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

davidjjdj replied the topic: Oscar laying on his side

He had been sitting towards the bottom not moving for probably around 2-3 weeks now, it was when he went on his side that I got worried. Not sure what caused the bloating, but my little guy was in pain. I read on a lot of forums, most of them said the Oscar had passed. With seeing my little guy in pain and knowing he may go soon, I purchased some clove oil and put him to sleep. I feel just awful but I can't imagine the pain he was in with that bulge on his stomach.

My ignorance has caused my pet great harm, as I was cleaning his tank once a month the guy was slowly deteriorating. Thank you all for your help, and I wish I joined and read up before it was too late for him.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds