I'm lost! Oscar with white fuzzy stuff. :/

• DisasterDolly
  • DisasterDolly's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

DisasterDolly created the topic: I'm lost! Oscar with white fuzzy stuff. :/

So I've owned fish in the past, but this tank is very different for me.
I recently moved out and received a 55g tank as a gift and was excited to start. My step-son was determined he had to have an Oscar, so I have a cichlid tank.
I have a tiger Oscar, two small neon cichlids, a medium pleco, and a blue crayfish (I would happy throw the thing out since I've had nothing but problems since my mother-in-law gave it to my son).
I do a 25% water change once a week, and I'm running an aqua-tech 30-60 filter. Recently I had ich in my tank when the crayfish was dumped in without being quarantined. Since then it's been treated and all my fish are back to normal minus the Oscar.
He's my baby and I'm terrified of him passing. Attached is a photo. Previously he would eat regularly twice a day, and now I'm lucky if I can get him to come up to me once. Today he's much more mobile and is swimming around, but he's been in this condition for 3-5 days now. His fins and tail appear to be deteriorating, and he's having some trouble swimming. I've never had illness in my fish before, so I wasn't sure if the fuzziness was the ich or not.
Please help! :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DisasterDolly
  • DisasterDolly's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

DisasterDolly replied the topic: I'm lost! Oscar with white fuzzy stuff. :/

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: I'm lost! Oscar with white fuzzy stuff. :/

This does rather look like cotton-wool disease. It's basically a fungal infection that can be caused by poor water conditions, or if the fish has got an injury. You can use Malachite green to treat it. Alternatively you can use Jungle fungus Eliminator which you may be able to find in the US. I'm afraid this does rather point towards a water quality problem. In order to cure the fish it's not just about treating it with medication, you've also got to make sure the water quality is very good. Can you please do some water tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: I'm lost! Oscar with white fuzzy stuff. :/

25% water changes a week on an overstocked, under filtered tank is where your problems began. Tanks not even really big enough for an Oscar by himself or the pleco by himself. Not sure what a neon cichlid is?.? Either way the only chance of keeping the Oscar healthy is to give him the tank to himself or setup another one for him. I would start doing 25% water changes a day to get him used to clean water, then you'll need to do two 50-75% changes a week to maintain water parameters. And that's with only the Oscar in the tank. Don't jump into doing large water changes right away as you may cause osmotic shock by removing all the nasty dissolved solids at once. Build him up to it.
Edit: by the way oscars love crayfish. He will eat it. It's one of their favourite treats.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds