HELP my Oscar is sick.

• Joeybsmooth
  • Joeybsmooth's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Joeybsmooth created the topic: HELP my Oscar is sick.

Right now I don't have any test strips so I can not tell the water rating . I will get that in the AM, and add it when I get home. But Anything you can tell me now with other that information will really help.

My oscar is not eating. He will put food in his mouth and spit it out. He is also staying up at the top of the tank and swiming backwards. He is in a 150 gal and is 4 years old.

And right now he is grayish and not black like he normally is .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: HELP my Oscar is sick.

Okay, it would obviously be beneficial if we knew what the water parameters are, i.e. ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. That is basically the equivalent to having your blood pressure and a blood test taken at the doctors, that will nearly always tell the doctor what could be wrong with you. So without knowing what the water quality is, it's very difficult to go any further. This could be water related, it might not be. Is it possible for you to take a video? The swimming backwards intrigues me, I can't serve at the scene that before. Is the fish breathing heavy at all? The fact that he is trying to eat isn't too much of a bad sign, normally when fish are very ill they are not interested in food at all.

When you say he's staying at the top of the tank, does he look like he's gasping for air? Or is he hanging around the filtration system where the water comes back into the tank?

We will await some more information and will try and help as much as we can

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: HELP my Oscar is sick.

Test with the liquid test kit, strips are not accurate. Any other fish in the tank? If so, are they doing ok?

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: HELP my Oscar is sick.

fish is 4 years old, i believe you have done good with your fish
150 gal is a good size but fading color or pale color is a sign of
problem...probably water issue, or temperature...

any idea what was the latest activity you did prior to that attitude?
having no test kit, i strongly suggest for a large water change to
preempt further problem...

• Joeybsmooth
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Joeybsmooth replied the topic: HELP my Oscar is sick.

Thanks for the help, I will try to address everything , please let me know if I skiped something .

DRACO: I just did a Big water change. However on that note something that is very important that I forgot to add is I had some major issues in my tank . My filter broke and the water got really bad. I live in the woods so I had to order a new filter online and that took a long time to come. SO while that was waiting I put him in my 40 gal tank with a divider so he wouldn't eat the fish that normally live there. Then when I was ready to put him back in , I noticed that the heater broke was broke so I had to wait even long as I went to find a heater.

Suprd71
Do the strips work at all, I would have to order anything else. No issues ordering them , but I know I need information about what's going on .

OFL
If you ever seen a turtle keep coming up to the top of water to get air , that he what it looks like. I tried to do a video but right now he is not swimming that much at all. :(

The test strips do not work, you need the API liquid kit to get an accurate reading on parameters. Loss of filtration, living in a divided 40 has likely made your guy sick. Now, you have a new filter but are still probably not at complete cycle. What is this filter, and is it handling a 150g alone? Until you can determine water quality, or lack of, do heavy water changes, daily or 2nd day at minimum.

• Joeybsmooth
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Suprd71- It is cascade rated for 200 gals. And I just ordered the API kit. Thanks for your help.

• Joeybsmooth
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

After the water test .. it seems that the Ammonia is super high , some how it is at a 6 . Besides water changes is there anything else that can be done ?

Thats a lethal level. Is this still a test strip reading? May not be quite that high, but still very dangerous. Any reading from tap water? Large water changes with Prime or Safe to neutralize ammonia.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Joeybsmooth

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: HELP my Oscar is sick.

I would a large water change now. If you have 6ppm ammonia, then your fish is being poisoned. You need to get the ammonia to 0.25ppm or less. This will require two 75% water changes done in a day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joeybsmooth

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds