HELP my Oscar is sick.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: HELP my Oscar is sick.

Make sure to also check your tap water ammonia levels. Since ammonia is not really harmful to humans it can sometimes be higher than is safe for fish (mine comes out of the tap at 0.5 ppm). This is why a product like Prime is essential for lowering ammonia when the water first goes into your tank in addition to your cycled filters.

I would also add that a filter rated for a 200 gallon aquarium is not going to be sufficient for dealing with the bioload of your 150 gallon with an oscar in it. I think your model of Cascade only has about 500 gph flow rate or there about. You need to triple that output.

What you need is at least 10 x gph water flow which in your case would be at least 1500 gph (gallons per hour). So for example you would need at least three Aquaclear 110 filters that have a flow rate each of 500 gph. Anything less and your filters, even if cycled, won't properly handle your oscar's bio load. You should add at least one and better two AC 110 Hobs or like to your current filtration.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joeybsmooth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Joeybsmooth
  • Joeybsmooth's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Joeybsmooth replied the topic: HELP my Oscar is sick.

Suprd71-I I got an upgraded kit, so far it is .50 ppm

Rocksor-THanks I have been doing a lot of changes.

Poseidon2.0-Thanks for the info, I was thinking about adding a Filter. However the hang on ones will not work for my set up. Could a power internal filter work ?

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: HELP my Oscar is sick.

Don't know much about internal power filters myself, but certainly you could throw on another canister. I run two canisters on a couple of my tanks. If you are short on funds, Sunsun will work in a pinch (been running one for a year without any issues); though Filstar and Eheim are better machines. Good luck! Sounds like you are turning things in the right direction.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joeybsmooth

• Joeybsmooth
  • Joeybsmooth's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Joeybsmooth replied the topic: HELP my Oscar is sick.

Poseidon2.0- Thanks for the help. I had a Sun sun and it broke. I might get another one since they are just so cheep .

Also THANK ALL.. my water is back close to normal and my big guy is swimming around like normal. A lot of question and a lot of help .. help to save him. Thank you .

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds