Oscar laying on the rocks

• Sabrina11014
  • Sabrina11014's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Sabrina11014 created the topic: Oscar laying on the rocks

I recently have gotten two baby oscars , one tiger and one albino. They were doing amazing then we had a power outage which left us without power for 12 + hours after about 2 hours without a filter which left them with minimum to no oxygen we happily figured out how to hook our filter plug in to our car but only could run the filter for about 10 minutes and then off for awhile the next day when the power was restored my albino started laying on the bottom on the rocks as if dead , wouldn't really eat. It's been 2 days and still this continues, I changed half the water and cleaned the filter. And today my tiger Oscar is starting to do the very same , I'm freaking out now and scared for them , help is greatly needed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Oscar laying on the rocks

Hi there, and welcome to our little community. Okay, first thing, did you carry out a water test? It's important in situations like this that you check especially for ammonia. If your bacteria has started to die off in the filtration system then there will be no means to remove ammonia. So really you need to test for ammonia and nitrite, and pH, that is important in cases like this. It was a good idea to carry out a water change, however cleaning filters was really not necessary. Can you tell me exactly how you did clean your filters, I hope it wasn't under tap water.

What about the temperature, did that drop much?

Are the Oscars breathing heavily? What about food, do they want to feed or are they just not bothered?

Get back to us with as many answers as possible.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Sabrina11014
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Sabrina11014 replied the topic: Oscar laying on the rocks

I hope it wasn't the wrong thing to do but yes i rises it under tape water and changed the filter cartage. They as if the hanging out just laying there breathing normal. There bothered really , there feed is Oscar pellets from the pet store. The temp has not changed it has remained the same , I called the pet store and they told me it was cause of stress from the power outage and they will apparently return to normal. I just have to relax , the ph is fine according to the test so now I'm at a loss on what to do cause I don't think oscars laying around when they were swimming two days ago is normal. They have a tank mate which is a large angel they surprising play nice with lol so far. Please help I don't know what to do

• Sabrina11014
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

They seem not really in the mood to eat at all :/

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Oscar laying on the rocks

You need to buy a liquid test kit. Test for ammonia and nitrites. If any of these are above 0.25ppm, then your oscars are slowly being poisoned. Test strips are not reliable and highly inaccurate.

Any pet store that tells you that the power outage caused stress is not a very knowledgeable pet store. The first thing they should have asked is whether or not you have tested ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates using a liquid test kit.

What size is the tank?

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Oscar laying on the rocks

Sabrina11014 wrote: I hope it wasn't the wrong thing to do but yes i rises it under tape water and changed the filter cartage. They as if the hanging out just laying there breathing normal. There bothered really , there feed is Oscar pellets from the pet store. The temp has not changed it has remained the same , I called the pet store and they told me it was cause of stress from the power outage and they will apparently return to normal. I just have to relax , the ph is fine according to the test so now I'm at a loss on what to do cause I don't think oscars laying around when they were swimming two days ago is normal. They have a tank mate which is a large angel they surprising play nice with lol so far. Please help I don't know what to do

when power is back, you should change the water without touching the filter... changing the cartridge is throwing teh remaining beneficial bacteria in there... oscars are lying idle to conserve whatever strength left...

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscar laying on the rocks

Hello and welcome to OFL. As recommended, testing the water will show you whats wrong. You also may have an overcrowded and under filtered tank. First order of biz is to get the water of quality to not make fish sick. I am also Canadian, perhaps I can direct you to a good supplier for food and supplies? Where bouts are you?

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Sabrina11014
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I live in a small town in British Columbia , I have two pet stores here , and I'm going in to town today to get a liquid test kit to help my babies , they are both still laying down on the bottom , the albino came up food some food this morning but the tiger remained laying down under the filter. I'm hoping after i do this test I can move forward and continue to enjoy my oscars. Thank you for your help if anyone has more info please share

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscar laying on the rocks

I'm in N.Ontario, so waaaay far from you. There is an online supplier here in Ontario, petsandponds.com They ship nation wide and have very good prices and just about everything you could imagine for the hobby. Follow test kit instructions to the letter, most important is to shake the life out of bottle #2 in the nitrate test. If you end up with the Nutrifin nitrate kit, its bottle 3. Please also indicate your tank size and brand/size of your filter. Then, after your tank test, do a test of your tap water. Good to have a baseline for new water going in. Well or city water? You may also need a good dechlorinator/conditioner.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Sabrina11014
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

My tank is 25 gal, with. A whisper flitration System I have well water and I just got a water conditioner and added the amount it said after I did a ph test using the nutrafin ph test kit and it came back perfect , so now I'm at a loss on what to do , I spoke with a lady at our pet store she didn't have anymore info besides a ph test. The oscars right now are together at the bottom of the rocks breathing normal just relaxing. I'm not sure what to do now :/

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds