Oscar laying on the rocks

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscar laying on the rocks

Well young lady, I'm going to be rather blunt here. You are in no way equipped to keep or raise Oscars, or any cichlid other than dwarf species. Your tank is about 5x too small, your filter very inadequate. Your fish need something in the area of 75gallons right now, and in a few short months will need a 6foot tank of well over 100 gals. My suggestion to just keep the fish alive is to do daily water changes of at least 3/4 the tank volume. Beyond that, if you cannot provide a suitable tank and necessary filtration, like next week, then you pretty well have to return or rehome the fish. They will not live long as you have them. Just of curiousity, what is the Ph reading?

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Sabrina11014
  • Sabrina11014's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Sabrina11014 replied the topic: Oscar laying on the rocks

Thank you for your help and time , the ph is 7.0 perfect acroding to the chart. And yes I understand they need a much larger tank but there new home will not be here until next week it is 70 gallon tank. I guess if I'm so ill equipped then I must give them to the pet store or some where better

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscar laying on the rocks

A 70gal tank will suffice for a single Oscar, no other fish. Your current issue is that your tank, specifically your filter is not cycled. By that I mean you do not have a colony of beneficial bacteria to process the ammonia that fish produce by respiration and waste production. it takes a solid 2 months to get this viable bacteria functioning, and it lives in your filters bio media. Oscar is a fast growing, messy fish that can exceed a foot long in about a year. I would suggest returning the fish, get your 70g setup and do a cycle with some hardy fish that can stand some ammonia content. You will need a test kit to monitor ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels. Everything you need to be successful is available here, and I among many others will help you every step of the way. You just started all wrong, its very common with beginners.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 0

waste replied the topic: Oscar laying on the rocks

a pic of guy fieri to give u a boost

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds