New to oscars and my little ones isn't happy

• Angela.conway
  • Angela.conway's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Angela.conway created the topic: New to oscars and my little ones isn't happy

Hey there all I just bought a tank and an oscar 11 days ago. It is my very first time having a tank and so I didn't know what I was doing. I asked the store employee what I need to do but after reading this website I realize I was quite wrong. Anyway my little 4 inch oscar named Happy is not living up to his name. He did great at first and acted like a puppy when he saw me but now he's not eating and is sulking in the corner. I took my water to a pet store who tested it and said my ammonia was high and gave me this liquid to add to my water. Was this the right thing to do? I want to save Happy and have a very happy oscar. Please help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: New to oscars and my little ones isn't happy

Hello Angela and welcome to OFL. You have an uncycled tank, more specifically an unseeded filter. You have no beneficial bacteria to process the ammonia being produced by your fish. What did the store give you to put in the tank? Exact brand name please. Also tell us the size of your tank and size and brand of your filter. Several steps you must take, but the more info we start with, the better we can begin

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Angela.conway

• Angela.conway
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Angela.conway replied the topic: New to oscars and my little ones isn't happy

The store told me I'd be ok with a 10 gallon so that's what I have. I know now That's not ok and will get a 55 gallon as soon as I can. They told me to put prime in my tank. And I don't know the filter it came with my tank. It's black, hangs inside the tank and produces a waterfall

Suprd71 replied the topic: New to oscars and my little ones isn't happy

Ok, first, avoid that particular shop, they obviously have no clue as to Oscar care and requirements. Prime is a good quality conditioner/dechlorinator. It will help to detoxify ammonia, but only for 48hrs max. You need to change the tank water every day, take out as much as to leave only enough for Oscar to stay submerged. Add about 1/4 cap of Prime with each change. For the new tank 55 is obviously FAR better than 10, but that too will be small in less than a year. If you can try to get a tank with a 48x18 footprint. 75 or 90 gals. You will need a quality canister filter and depending on filter size, a large hang on back filter as well. We can recommend several good choices. water quality is the issue for now, you must remove ammonia and other toxins. Have you done a water change since you started?

• Angela.conway
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I did a 40% change a week ago. So I need to deplete is water that much?? What about testing it should I only do that if the ammonia is really high? And will this stop the tank from maturing?? Oh and will doing changes everyday stress Happy out more?? I love this fish and really don't want to loose him. Oh and the shop also told me my water was too soft and that oscars like harder water. He said to get a brick clean it really well and put it in my tank. Was this bad advice too??

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: New to oscars and my little ones isn't happy

That size tank will stunt the oscar and cause deformities. You basically have to change out 10 gallons of water every day (2 x 5 gallon water changes a day ) until you can get a 48x18 size tank (like next week). A 4" oscar will put out so much waste and ammonia, it will be a detriment to its health.

Easiest option is to rehome the oscar until you can afford a 48x 18 size tank.

• Angela.conway
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Wow!! That makes me sad. Would it be bad to buy a used tank and stand?? If you know anyone who has one or a site I can use please let me know. I don't want to regime him but if it's that serious I will have to.

• Thank you received: 8

Vinny replied the topic: Re:New to oscars and my little ones isn't happy

If it's a main streem pet store you run a drastically higher risk of bad advice I find. I try to only buy my fish from either local breeders or trusted independent stores depending on what I need. 2nd hand is fine for getting a new tank just research make sure your not overpaying and make sure the tank doesn't leak. Prime example of pet stores is they just opened a Petco near by my house. The one I used to go to actually had a really knowledgeable fish guy in charge. This one is full of anyone they found. Every tank has dead fish or dying the oscar tank is a discrase they all have Sevear hole in the head to the point the whole body looks like it's deteriorating. And what do I see every time I go there them selling fish to families. You have to look around the store and see how they are maintaining their own stock and if it's not right move on.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Angela.conway
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Angela.conway replied the topic: Re:New to oscars and my little ones isn't happy

Well I got home from work prepared to do a big water change and try to save happy. But I was too late. He's passed :"(((

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:New to oscars and my little ones isn't happy

Sorry for your loss Angela. A small positive may be that you learned something. Should you still go ahead with a bigger tank, I caution you not to just toss new fish in a new setup. Ask questions, research and learn how the nitrogen cycle works in the aquarium. We will be happy to assist you in anything you need.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds