New to oscars and my little ones isn't happy

• Angela.conway
  • Angela.conway's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Angela.conway replied the topic: Re:New to oscars and my little ones isn't happy

I want to do this right so I'm getting a bigger tank very soon. I just need to know how to make it safe before I get another oscar. I want to know everything. Which substrate is best? And should I use other fish to mature the tank and if so what kind? Just anything you can help me with I would appreciate or direct me to a step by step guide. Thank you so much. And yes I have learned a lot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re:New to oscars and my little ones isn't happy

How big of a tank are you getting?

I would do a fishless cycle. For this you need ammonia (10% ammonia and 90% water), which you can get from ace hardware.

Then you need

1. API freshwater master test kit (once you get this you can start your fishless cycle which takes 4 weeks)
2. Python No spill no clean (connects to regular faucets look online at what it comes with and how it matches up to your closest faucet)
3. Eheim 2217 canister filter. You can get by with one for now, but you need a total of 2 in 6 months
4. Pool filter sand is the cheapest, and needs to be rinsed. You only need 1" of substrate.

• Angela.conway
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Angela.conway replied the topic: Re:New to oscars and my little ones isn't happy

I want to have an oscar and a friend for my new family member. So I was thinking a 75 gallon tank. Will that be sufficient?

• Angela.conway
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

As for the sand, when you say rinsed do you mean before going in the tank or am I going to have to rinse it often?

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:New to oscars and my little ones isn't happy

A 75g tank will hold 1 Oscar only, no tankmates. Oscar does not require "friends" they do very well alone. Should you be successful, there will come a time when a big Oscar will look cramped in 75g, but it will be ok for a couple of years or so. As for the sand, that is a personal choice, not a requirement. You can just as easily use gravel or river pebbles. For sand, a real good rinse, or three, before it goes in the tank will be all good.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re:New to oscars and my little ones isn't happy

If you want more fish in the tank, look into at least a 5 foot long tank.

A guide to fishless cycling. www.drtimsaquatics.com/resources/fishless-cycling

Doing a cycle with fish is harder. You have to keep doing 50% water changes when EITHER ammonia or nitrite hit 0.5ppm. Ammonia and nitrite must be tested everyday. This can take as long as 6-8 weeks.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:New to oscars and my little ones isn't happy

Sorry to here he didn't make it. Too bad. Your getting great advice to go forward. Do lots of research. Also oscars in fact like and are from soft water. They will adapt to harder water but they are naturally from softer waters of the Amazon. Adding a brick to the tank is even more bad advice. Don't go there anymore. As a matter of fact don't go to any pet store and ask any questions if your new to the hobby. Ask the questions here and do Internet research and goto the store armed with the info you need. 99% of the time your going to be given improper info at an LFS. Either just because of lack of knowledge or they want your money. Here we have no interest in your money other than making sure you don't waste it. Only want you to succeed, get the most out of the hobby and give your fish a suitable home and life.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds