Oscar jumping out of water, acting strange !!

• Chilli
  • Chilli's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Chilli created the topic: Oscar jumping out of water, acting strange !!

Hi guys
I've had my Oscar for around 8 months now, for the last 2 weeks his been jumping out of the water every night around 2 in the morning hitting the lid and splashing the surface like crazy. I've gotten up and seen if his ok and he seems disorientated and doesnt know what's going on. His been acting very differnt during the day not swimming much and looks like his sulking he swims a little then does a super quick dash at the glass then resumes floating
His in a 55 gallon tank
Approximately 15cm long
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate around 15ppm
I do a water change weekly to twice a week if I feel it needs it
Please give me your opinions I'm really worried his gonna end up with something long term if I can't stop him from jumping and freaking out

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Oscar jumping out of water, acting strange !!

Welcome to our little community.

You know something? This is something that used to happen when I had Oscars. I would hear great big thud in the middle of the night. My guess is that a small fly has got in between the lid and the water and the Oscars are jumping at it. , In fact I filmed at the time.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscar jumping out of water, acting strange !!

While your Oscar hasnt outgrown the 55 quite yet, he is getting close. Its very possible he is unhappy and irritated in a smallish tank. Is the tank completely dark at night? A wee bit of night light may keep him calmer overnight.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Chilli
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Chilli replied the topic: Oscar jumping out of water, acting strange !!

I've thoroughly checked for flies or bugs that might of been annoying him but there has never been any sign of insects, the tank is in my room so I would notice if something was flying around, but yes the tank is completely dark at night, I have a 125 gallon tank he will be moving to this week, so I really hope that might change his behaviour thanks for helping guys

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Oscar jumping out of water, acting strange !!

if there is no bugs nor fly at all, perhaps your oscar is just trying to explore open space available... sometimes, the culprit is the too high water level inside the tank wherein the next area when fish is excited is the outside of the tank...

what i mean is that jumping only happens to me once when the wifey filled up the tank up to the rim...

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Oscar jumping out of water, acting strange !!

Water drops that accumulate at the top of the tank, can be perceived by the oscar as possible prey.

• Chilli
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Chilli replied the topic: Oscar jumping out of water, acting strange !!

Thanks guys, I never thought about the water on the glass that could be it, I increased the water level yesterday to see if he would do it at night which he did but not as bad as when the water level was lower, His been sulking a lot latly and hasn't shown much interest in food, I tried turning off his Lighg last night when he was sulking and immediately he stopped and started swimming around has anyone heard of this happening ? I've had the light on since I got him and it's never been a problem
Thanks everyone for the replies really appreciate it

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds