oscar is active but not healthy ...

• Harish9505
  • Harish9505's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Harish9505 created the topic: oscar is active but not healthy ...

i would like to knw if it is ok with one year old oscar and one year old parrots as i got one pair of copper oscars, one pair parrots and one single green terror to my aquarium..i introduced them a week ago to my one year old oscar and parrots ...unfortunately one oscar is down idk y and another one is active but having some pectoral fins cut or not grown fully and little skin scratches or marks idk i am nt much familiar with the fishes yet... so i wanted to knw whether it is healthy and ok with the tank mates .. here i am attaching the images of the aquarium and the fish with pectoral fins cut or..?

imageshack.com/a/img905/1809/HWxmUO.jpg
imageshack.com/a/img908/4554/b0e9Du.jpg
imageshack.com/a/img911/1205/BJ56tK.jpg

NOTE: one oscar iand one pair of parrots are of one year old..bought together ..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Harish9505
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: oscar is active but not healthy ...

Welcome to our little community.

Okay, the first thing that jumps out to me is the size of the tank. How big is it? Doesn't look much bigger than about 30 or 40 gallons. Also, is that a submersible filter you are using?

Have you checked the water conditions, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH? It could very well be that water conditions are having an effect on the fishes delicate fins. I've got to be perfectly honest with you, that tank is not big enough for those fish, I doubt whether it's big enough for one adult Oscar, you'll have to tell us how big it is. But really I don't think there's much hope for you if you intend on keeping all these fish in such a small aquarium. There is no way you are going to be able to keep the water in good condition, especially if you are using what looks like a very small filter

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Harish9505
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Harish9505 replied the topic: oscar is active but not healthy ...

I never checked how many gallons does the aquarium takes bt I can give the dimensions of the aquarium n ain't check the water conditions and bout the filter idk will let you knw its an submersible bt it is small I guess with my size of aquarium...

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

Measure the tank in inches for me.

We don't want to come across as we are chastising you or patronising you in anyway, but it's simply impossible to keep large fish in a small aquarium, it will never work out in the long run. If you do try to keep the amount of fish you've got in a small aquarium then I can guarantee that at some stage you are going to run into serious problems and the fish will probably die a slow and horrible death. That's about as blunt as I can put it.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: oscar is active but not healthy ...

with this picture, your fish is already suffering too much... blurry eye probably due to toxin in your tank

• Harish9505
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Tank size
Length 38 1/2 inch
Width 16inch
Height 25inch

• Harish9505
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Den can u plz help me out hw to take care of my oscar and mates shld I buy any other filter and any water checking kit etc etc plz suggest me I can buy wat all necessary to keep it clean and care of my fishes???

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

Okay, the measurements you've given me indicate that your tank is approximately 55 gallons (64 gallons US)

So in theory your tank is big enough (just) for one adult Oscar. Now having said that the water does not reach all the way to the top of the tank. It's difficult to tell just how far short falls, maybe two or 3 inches. So if the water only reaches 22 inches your tank is in fact 48 gallons (56 gallons US). Because I go by UK gallons I would consider that to be less than the required amount of water for one adult Oscar. You've also got to bear in mind that you will have a little bit of displacement as well because you have gravel, but it won't be much. So the first thing I would do is put some more water in the tank, that will help your cause. But you're still overstocked by a lot of fish.

• Harish9505
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

of course i will do tat and i need to know whetheri shld get any accessories for my tank as well as to my fishes... and i would like know all my fishes are healthy i will attach the pictures of others and will also attach the internal filter details ...

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds