new oscar

• yobejoe
  • yobejoe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

yobejoe created the topic: new oscar

Im new to this form so hello everyone :). Okay so right now i am terrified i love oscars and ive always loved fish i have an aquarium with 3 parrot fish and 2 gouramis and an angel fish, i saw a oscar at pet smart ( i know they keep their fish in bad conditions ect) but he was beautiful he is a tiger oscar and has alot of patterning through out his body when i bought him i knew he had a cloudy eye but i planed on helping him get bettet if possible but now my parrots have picked on him amd hes missing a alot of scales and has never ate since i have him and he leans to his side abit and is very inactive (ive had him for 2 days)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: new oscar

Welcome to our community. I'm assuming that your aquarium is well-established and water conditions are good? In cases like this we always ask people to test their water and post the results so we can see for ourselves. So if you haven't got a water test kit you will need one, or take a sample of water to the fish store and they will probably be quite happy to do it for you. We looking for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. In an established aquarium whether biological filter is working properly the ammonia and nitrite must be zero all the time. If there's any sign of nitrite or ammonia then there may be an imbalance or a problem somewhere.

Also, how big is your aquarium, it's important that you have the correct size aquarium in order to keep an Oscar fish.

Now let's address your problem regarding the Oscars cloudy eye. It may be a good idea for you to post a photograph so we can see. Is the cloud completely clouded over, or can you see some of the retina and pupil? It could be a case that the Oscar has knocked is I which can sometimes cause it to cloud over for a while. However, if it's permanent damage then it may stay cloudy. Also, if the fish has been exposed to poor water conditions, or pH that is too high then this can also cause problems with the eyes.

Until we can get some more information on how you are looking after the Oscar, i.e. aquarium, filtration and water conditions then it's very difficult to go any further with trying to get the Oscar back to tiptop health.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• yobejoe
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

yobejoe replied the topic: new oscar

Thank you i have a test kit and the ph is at 7.5 ammonia 0 nitrate 5 ppm and nitrite is 0.25 (filter was broken for a week and i was running on one filter so i got another filter last week) i have a 120 gallon (60x24x18) right now im running 3 filters 1 aquaclear 50 eheim 2026 and a emperor 400 which would be good for up to a 240 gallon tank i will be getting rid of the gouramis and angel as the parrots and oscar get bigger

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: new oscar

Everything sounds fine regarding aquarium size and filtration. Water conditions that pretty good as well. I shouldn't worry too much about the nitrite, that will sort itself out and it's very low anyway.

Regarding the cloudy eye, I would probably suggest that the I will recover within time since your water conditions are good. Obviously it really depends on how much damage has been caused. Is it only the one eye that is cloudy?

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• yobejoe
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Yes only one eye and its the whole eye roght now i have him floating in the tank with like a baby breeder cage im so worried i dont want him to die :( he wont eat or anything when i put him in the tank the yesterday everypne left him alone but since hes in rough shape i put him in the cage just to be cautious he is about 3-3 1/2 inches

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: new oscar

When you bought the fish, it already had some type of bacterial infection.

He needs to be medicated for a bacterial infection. Go buy Kordon's Methylene Blue from the fish store. Get a 5 gallon bucket and put 2 gallons of water from the tank into the bucket. Put 2 teaspoons of salt and mix in the bucket. Then put 2ml of Methylene Blue in the bucket. Leave him in the bucket for 30 minutes. The methylene blue will help with the wounds and prevent outer bacterial infection.

Then put him back into the main tank, and put 2 gallons of tank water into the bucket. Put 1/2 teaspoon of epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) into the water and mix. Place him in the bucket for 30 minutes. The epsom salt will help to reduce the swelling of the eye.

Do both of these baths for 1 week, changing the water or each bucket everyday. It would be easier to have 2 x 5 gallon buckets so that you can move him from one bucket to the other rather than putting him back into the main tank.

He needs to be in a separate tank so that he can be treated with anti-biotics. Keeping him in the main tank with parrot fish will not help reduce his stress. Stress needs to be reduced so that his immune system can fight the infection.

• yobejoe
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

He is now fully healed i put him in a small cage and hes scales and fins are fixed his eye im pretty sure has cateracts or hes just blind from 1 eye hes in the main tank now anyways and is doing fine

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds