Swim Bladder Disease? Really concerned about my Oscar!!

• hannahbaa
  • hannahbaa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

hannahbaa created the topic: Swim Bladder Disease? Really concerned about my Oscar!!

I think my Oscar may have swim bladder disease, he is just resting on the bottom of the tank constantly (I would say that he's pouting but I think he is purposely staying on the bottom of the tank) and when he does try to swim slowly around the tank he kind of flops from side to side swimming in circles like he cant keep him self upright and when he tries to swim quickly around the tank he just ends up rolling over constantly like a dog would. I have read that these can be some of the symptoms of SBD but I am not sure. He was sick with ich recently too but we cured that and cleared that up, and now this has happened. I have no clue what I am supposed to do, I feel so bad for him watching him trying to swim, somebody please help me figure out what to do! :( I have attached a video with 2 links, I hope you can watch it and I hope this helps you guys diagnose what is wrong with him.

vid12.photobucket.com/albums/a247/hannahbaa/IMG_4285_zpsxh4iywq8.mp4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Swim Bladder Disease? Really concerned about my Oscar!!

Try an epsom salt treatment using pure epsom salt (magnesium sulfate). Pre-dissolved about 1 tablespoon of epsom salt per 5 gallons (you can use tank water) and add it to the tank over the course of 8 hours.

If that doesn't work, then it has a secondary bacterial infection as a result of the ich. You could try medication like Maracyn 1 and Maracyn 2, but I suspect in the next week he may not make it.

• hannahbaa
  • hannahbaa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

hannahbaa replied the topic: Swim Bladder Disease? Really concerned about my Oscar!!

I am sad to inform you that he actually passed away last night, he didn't make it for much longer after i took that video :(

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds